VMware Communities
dab55
Contributor
Contributor

Ryzen 2600x not enough to run two OS?

Dear experts,

i have ryzen 2600X with 6 cores. Host OS Linux, Virtualization set and working. GPU is 2060 GTX Nvidia. I gave Windows 10 threads of 12 and made sure virtualization is on, as well as 3D Acceleration.

It feels slow. Sometimes videos get choppy but mostly are allright I had W10 before as a host OS and it was considerably more enjoyable to use.

How can i optimize VM further?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Bloomingdale
Contributor
Contributor

Have you compared performance between different core configurations? Could it be that allocating fewer cores results in smoother operation?

How much memory have you allocated to the VM?

How much video memory have you assigned to the VM?

Does the VM reside on a disk that is also being accessed by the host?

Surely you have the VM on an SSD?

Other than that I suspect you may have to optimize windows itself, go ahead and run through this checklist and see if it improves things:

Disable hiberfil

Disable superfetch

Disable the page file

Disable telemetry

Disable windows update

Disable defender

Uninstall any unwanted UWP programs or better still, install LTSC

Actually just go ahead and tear through gpedit.msc, services.msc, taskschd.msc and get rid of all the bloat. It's worth it.

0 Kudos
dab55
Contributor
Contributor

Will try 1st option

10GB *CHANGED TO 16GB

default? Its not passthrough, idk, but i have plenty available, where do i set this up? *8GB

So the disk is SSD, it is used solely by VM.

will do. Is there a program to debloat automatically?*used a github debloater.

My cores are set like this: 1 2 3 4 5 6 - Thread 1 , 7 8 9 10 11 12 - Thread 2.

I have 12 threads not cores but they are classified as cores in Linux.

How can i specify lets say 1 2 3 7 8 9 as cores for VM? Maybe using 3 cores 2 threads is better than all cores 1 thread.*Noticed VM already uses two threads of a single core.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

You have over provisioned your VM by assigning it 10 cores.. you don't even have 10 cores, as you have already said yourself, you have 12 threads... and thus 6 cores. Threads don't count, only cores do.

The rule of thumb is to assign (N-1) as max.. I'd say don't give the guest more than 4 cores.

Always make sure your host has plenty of resources left otherwise both your guest _and_ host will suffer.

Same for memory, never assign more than half of your physical RAM to a VM.

Assigning more resources to your VM does not always make things faster, sometimes it does the opposite as your host OS also needs resources. Plus some of the features in a VM (network/vGPU) depend on available resources at the host.

edit: Note, also do not try to assign specific cores/threads to your VM as you will interfere with the CPU scheduler.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
dab55
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Wila,

Workstation Pro detects 12 cores. It is the driver of Ubuntu that categorizes threads as cores. Workstation Pro allows to chose 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 or 12 cores.

My host has well over 16 GB of RAM left.

I did not try to assign specific threads or cores.

Unfortunately i still experience slower than original non-VM speed. I access the VM via Workstation Pro app, not RDP or equivalent.

Further help is needed in optimizing performance.

0 Kudos
dab55
Contributor
Contributor

Bump

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Why are you bumping?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
dab55
Contributor
Contributor

My VM is not performing that well, i need advice on further optimization as i did all of the above advices. Also my USB Wireless module is slow compared to Virtualbox when mounted (pages on Firefox take twice or three times longer to open). Considering i am a home-use customer id like more advice.

I would consider getting ESXI if i can be guaranteed that Windows + Ubuntu can be run together with bare-metal performance on my setup: Ryzen 2600X, NVME SSD, 32GB RAM, 2060 RTX GPU. I would not consider getting it if i should be getting that performance out of Workstation Pro, which is intended for home-users imo. Would workstation player be faster?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

1. Your most recent post was less than 12 hours ago

2. VMTN is a user community forum, it relies almost exclusively of people helping voluntarily in their own time

3. No, Workstation Player will not make a difference

4. You’ve already had a suggestion to reduce the number of CPUs allocated to your VM, but don’t seem to have tried doing so

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos