VMware Communities
saburaziz
Contributor
Contributor

Running vmware workstation 8 in 64-bit mode

Hi,

I am running on  64-bit host (win7 64), and am wondering how I can run vmware workstation 8 in 64-bit mode.

It is already installed, i thought by default, it would detect that i have a 64-bit OS and 64-bit CPU, but checking the running processes in task manager (vmware.exe*32) and the install location (program files (x86) tells me that it is running in 32-bit mode.

I am running 32-bit guests BUT thought that the actual workstation app should be running in 64-bit mode so it can allocate more memory to the guest without having to start swapping etc.

I am definately sure that VT is enabled on my CPU as vmware does allow me to create new 64-bit guests without any warnings.

Can anyone help? I cant find any resources or hints anywhere on the internet regarding this.

Thanks in advance 🙂

0 Kudos
3 Replies
abbie11
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi saburazzi ,

Welocme to vmware fourm .

The vmware.exe process is just the front-end and it's always 32-bit, but the actual virtual machines (vmware-vmx.exe) are 64-bit on 64-bit hosts.

if need any more inofrmation please get back to us .

Yours, Abbie

Winning!
0 Kudos
noisybuddha
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you finally i understand.

0 Kudos
bongsamaniego
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have the same setup Windows 7 64-bit and VMWare Workstation 8. I think if you can address more than 4 GB of RAM w/out file swap to the guest OS then you are using VMWare Workstation's 64-bit functionality. I verified this using the version of VMWare but with Windows 7 32-bit, RAM allocation is limited to 3 GB and more than that requires file swapping.

Hope analysis is tru and would help.

Thanks,

Bong

0 Kudos