VMware Communities
stwynam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Running a 64-bit Guest on a 32-bit O/S with 64-bit CPU

Hello,

I want to run some 64-bit guest O/S's within Workstation 6.5 but so far have been unable to. I a message that it cannot run due to the fact it is a 64-bit guest and the host isn't. I am running 32-bit Vista but my CPU should support 64-bit.

I have an Acer Aspire 5738Z, which has a 2GB Intel Core 2 Duo CPU which I understand to be able to support 64-bit.

Is anybody able to help me please?

Thanks

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".

If you found this or other information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful".
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Looking up the specs for the Aspire 5738Z on the web, it appears to come with a T4200 processor. The T4200 does not support VT-x, and therefore cannot run 64-bit guests. See KB 1003945.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Tom2k8
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

It should be possible to run a 64 bit guest because of your processor, but there are two hindrances:

1. You run a 32 bit OS. The guest can allocate at most the half of the amount of the host's memory. I don't expect a 64 bit guest running. If VMWare can **emulate** besides virtualize, a 64 bit guest should run, albeit on a horrible performance.

2. You only have 2 Gb of memory in your host. A 64 bit guest won't profit very much.

stwynam
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the response, although I do have 4GB RAM in the laptop so I hope I can utilise enough of this to make it worth it and I just need to install some 64-bit VMs to have a play and get a feel for them.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi

I have a similar constellation like you have : 32 bit Host on a 4 GB dualcore notebook. 64 bit VMs run fine.

If you get errors - are you sure you have enabled VT support in BIOS ?

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Looking up the specs for the Aspire 5738Z on the web, it appears to come with a T4200 processor. The T4200 does not support VT-x, and therefore cannot run 64-bit guests. See KB 1003945.

0 Kudos