VMware Communities
lpperras
Contributor
Contributor

Running VM from network drive

Hi,

We are using VMWare workstation alot where I work, but we always need to copy the machines from our network drive to our desktop. We are approx 4 people using vmware each day, and have machines with 4gb of ram. We usually run about 2~3 vm with 1gb of memory each. The problem we have, is that we always need more and more space to keep all the vm in our desktop. I would like to know if there was a way to run the vm directly from the network drive, and that everyone could run a clone from that vm?

What I need is a solution that doesn't require a big server as we want the vm to work on our desktops, without always having to tranfer the vm on the network.

Thanks

0 Kudos
3 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

What about running 4 linked clones with the common base-disk on fileserver and the clone-snapshots on your 4 local boxes ?

0 Kudos
lpperras
Contributor
Contributor

When I create a clone from a vm and run that clone, it creates a lock, so no other people can run this vm at the same time. I'ld like to be able to run this vm on multiple pc on the same time.

Thanks

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

You need to duplicate that clone a couple of times - or (with similar results) create several linked clones.

0 Kudos