VMware Communities
mlpreston
Contributor
Contributor

Running Redhat 5 in dual screen on Workstation

Hi All,

Please can you help.

Has anyone run Redhat 5 in dual screen mode in a recent version of VM Workstation? I need to be able to run both RH7 and RH5 desktop VMs in a dual screen mode at different times.

RH7 seems to work fine from installing the vm tools running on 2 screens but not with the RH5 one. After installing the version of vmware tools that comes with RH5 and also other pre-built vm tools we had, the button is greyed out and when pressed it simply says we need to update vm tools even if we have done.

We're thinking perhaps dual screen worked in older versions as now workstation will expect a newer "tools api" and we won't have this for RH5 as it's now pretty old.

Currently evaluating this with workstation 16.2.3.

Any pointers will be appreciated. If I find more info I'll update here.

Thanks

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
mlpreston
Contributor
Contributor

Hi All,

Ok we think we're further along and kind of have a solution.

We tried an older version of Workstation (an EOL one) 12.5.x and this seemed to work ok.

From there it then also worked in 16.2.3 after being setup with 12. Looking around trying to see what was different, realised that VMware tools is at a different version (10.3.23) in VMWare workstation 16 but at 10.1.3 in V12. So from there we've downloaded the vmware tools 10.1.5 and used this instead of 10.3.23 and this also appears to work.

Hope this helps someone else.

0 Kudos