VMware Communities
baninivestby2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Running Guest on x64 with x64 Host!

I am having trouble starting up my VM.

Keep getting this error message:

This virtual machine is configured for 64-bit guest operating systems. However, 64-bit operation is not possible.

This host supports Intel VT-x, but Intel VT-x is disabled.

I have checked my CPU compatability for VT-x and have enabled the option in UEFI BIOS (VT-D) I assume this is the option to enable?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

VT-d is not the same thing as VT-x.

See this link for an explanation: http://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Overview_of_the_Intel_VT_Virtualization_Features

However it might be that it somehow is linked by the setting in your UEFI BIOS.

Note however that changing VT-x setting requires the machine to be power cycled in order to be effective.

In order to do so, for a desktop, just pull the power plug, with the machine shut down.

For a laptop you might have to remove the batteries to power cycle it.

For more details, also see this excellent document: Trouble-shooting Intel VT-x Issues

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

VT-d is not the same thing as VT-x.

See this link for an explanation: http://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Overview_of_the_Intel_VT_Virtualization_Features

However it might be that it somehow is linked by the setting in your UEFI BIOS.

Note however that changing VT-x setting requires the machine to be power cycled in order to be effective.

In order to do so, for a desktop, just pull the power plug, with the machine shut down.

For a laptop you might have to remove the batteries to power cycle it.

For more details, also see this excellent document: Trouble-shooting Intel VT-x Issues

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
baninivestby2
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you for quick response. I realized that I was looking in the wrong section of my BIOS. Finally found the intel VT-x under CPU section. It's working now!

0 Kudos