VMware Communities
ak0004
Contributor
Contributor

Restrict a virtual machine isn't working

Hello

I would like to restrict the user from changing all settings of a VM in Workstation Pro 15. I used the built in feature Access Control - Restrictions, but when I do so, I still can change some settings. For example the network settings of the VM.

Is there something I am doing wrong? Or is there any other possibility to block a user from changing the configuration of the VM?

Thanks Michael

0 Kudos
6 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Have a good read through the documentation: Encrypting and Restricting Virtual Machines

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
ak0004
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Scott

I did, but the password prompt is only shown once, when I first klick on the VM to open it. It is not shown when I want to change the network config.

After I typed in the password to access the VM, I can change the network setting from NAT to Bridged for example. And this could be done without a password.

zidum1
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I have actually same experience...I have tried a couple of things and even if settings are restricted, you are still able to change Memory, CPU, Network Adapter and Display settings.

Rest is disabled (also all settings in "Options" tab).

I thought and out of a link there is written, that you can prevent user from changing RAM, connection type etc. (but exactly those are still available even with restriction enabled)

but working somehow just for some settings....

Encrypting and Restricting Virtual Machines

wcantrell
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue. The restricted checkbox is not available under access control.

tesfayea1
Contributor
Contributor

I have actually same experience...I have tried a couple of things and even if settings are restricted, you are still able to change Memory, CPU, Network Adapter and Display settings.

Rest is disabled (also all settings in "Options" tab).

I thought and out of a link there is written, that you can prevent user from changing RAM, connection type etc. (but exactly those are still available even with restriction enabled)

but working somehow just for some settings

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

@wcantrellthe restrict feature is no longer a feature in Workstation 16.
See also: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/16/rn/VMware-Workstation-16-Pro-Release-Notes.html...

quote:

Product Support Notices

• Removal of Shared VM feature
    Shared virtual machines (Workstation as server) has reached end of life and been removed from VMware Workstation 16.
  • Removal of restricted virtual machines
    Restricted virtual machine has reached end of life and been removed from VMware Workstation 16.

Hope this helps,

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva