VMware Communities
NetRock6
Contributor
Contributor

Restore Linux image

I have linux image that can be restore on HP DL servers, trying to restore this image on VMware workstation but i am getting errors see the attched.

appreciate if someone can help.

Thanks

0 Kudos
6 Replies
kingneutron
Expert
Expert

--Can you go in with systemrescuecd/knoppix/etc and poke around?  You may have to ' fdisk -l ' and find the root filesystem, mount it, and then check etc/fstab to see if it's right.

--What kind of backup software made the image?  I highly recommend Acronis, but we can probably help you get it booting with SuperGrub or the like (grub2 may be a little harder)...

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=systemrescue

http://www.supergrubdisk.org/

--Please post the following:

o Linux distro and version

o results of ' fdisk -l ' and ' blkid '

./. If you have appreciated my response, please remember to apply Helpful/Correct points. TIA
NetRock6
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much  for the reply. I used partimage to make the image.

It fedora 6 and attached files are the results.

in Vmware i boot from boot CD and then run partimage to restore the partitions. i have two partitions. the partition get load correctly. If i mount them after booting from CD i can see all the files and if i do the same action on HP server i am able to restore the image. just on the Vmware does not work.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
myatthu9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can definitely clone HP hardware to HP hardware without problem. May be you even use identical hardware. There should not have driver problem.

Since you are cloning to VMware, driver will be different.

Easy way is install another VM with fedora installer.

Take /boot/initrd-xxx.img

copy it to your cloned VM, try to boot up.

Another way will be extract initrd image and customize the driver.

Good Luck

share knowledge, extend knowledge [RHCE,MCITP]
0 Kudos
NetRock6
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your reply. I have already tried using working initrd but it did not work. it looks like always pointing to sda3 instead of sda2. maybe something changing the drive..... I think i need to change the whole producer and find different way. any suggestions. Thanks.

0 Kudos
NetRock6
Contributor
Contributor

Hi...

attached file is what i get when restoring initrd.

Thank you

0 Kudos
myatthu9
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When you repackage the initrd image, do you check "init" file after extraction

If I am not wrong, you will see the near end of the file it is specify to boot at /dev/sda3

You are quite sure your / is /dev/sda2 change at that area and re-package initrd

Note:

To check your / you can check at /etc/fstab of your source machine.

share knowledge, extend knowledge [RHCE,MCITP]
0 Kudos