VMware Communities
rahulsharma7878
Contributor
Contributor

Restart winodw s7 again-2 help

Hello everyone i m new here yesterday my workstation windows 7 Windows 7-s009 is corrupted and i lost that then i delete that and rename Windows 7-s010 to Windows 7-s009 Windows 7-s011 to Windows 7-s010 and Windows 7-s010 to Windows 7-s011 now i faced the issue i attached all details below so please help me to solve it.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It might be an option to use an existing slice and copy (not rename) it to replace the missing slice, but it doesn't make any sense to rename them!? In your case the s011 slice is smaller than the others, which means the metadata in this file is different and it cannot be used to replace one of the other slices.

All you should have done is to just copy e.g. Windows 7-s010 to Windows 7-s009. Although this will most likely cause data corruption in the guest OS itself, it should at least allow you to make the virtual disk and extract important files. If you are lucky you may also be able to start and fix (e.g. using chkdsk) the Windows 7 VM. In any case, ensure you backup all the files prior to modifying anything!

André

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The vmware.log file is showing "Windows 7-s001.vmdk" : failed to open (14): Disk needs repair." not "Windows 7-s009.vmdk" as you show in the OP.  Also why on earth would you start renaming the Extents form one to another directly.  In other words if an Extent is missing or a corrupted one cannot be repaired using vmware-vdiskmanager then you copy an empty Extent (one the is ~320KB) to then name of the missing one or copy it to replace the corrupted one.  Not start renaming several in a row at that will cause more damage then you already have! Smiley Wink

Hope you made a backup before your started messing around and did you first try using vmware-vdiskmanage?

Also note that in most cases if the first binary Extent is corrupted beyond repair or missing there is little how of successful recovery unless you have a backup to restore from and only a known good full backup to restore from will yield 100%successful recovery of the Virtual Machine itself and not necessarily current data beyond what's on the backup! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
rahulsharma7878
Contributor
Contributor

i already have all files Windows 7-s009.vmdk file size is 0kb now you tell me what i can do when i launch the window s7 it' start and shows me blue screen and crashed again and again.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please post a list of files in the VM's folder (run dir *.* in the VM's directory). As mentioned by WoodyZ, the "empty" s009 file should hasv ~320kB.

What you can try - instead of powering on the VM - is to use "Map virtual disk ..." from the File menu to see whether you can access/backup the important files.

André

0 Kudos
rahulsharma7878
Contributor
Contributor

I attached the screenshot of all files

5-11-2013 7-56-58 PM.png

0 Kudos
rahulsharma7878
Contributor
Contributor

Ok then please you give me full details to repair it actually i want some files from it only i am not able to map it also it's shows error.

0 Kudos
rahulsharma7878
Contributor
Contributor

Finally drive is map and whole disk it got access but when i enter the folder it's shows you don't have permission.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Unfortunately I can't tell you whether this is because of the error WoodyZ mentioned earlier (disk s001 needs repair) or whether it's caused by e.g. UAC on the host (try to temporarily disable it).

Anyway, in case you copied the s009 extent from s011, I'd suggest you replace it with an empty extent (see attachment) to rule out any issues with it.

André

0 Kudos