VMware Communities
Wilde79
Contributor
Contributor

Reset Vmware Workstation settings

Hi!

For our environment, we would require that vmware workstation does not remember the last location a file was opened from, does anyone know where the workstation stores the information about from where the last image was opened from? Or how could you set it to always default to desktop as start point?

Also is it possible to remove all opened virtual machines from the main tab?

Regards, Ville

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm not 100% sure whether there's more to it, but the main user configuration data (inventory, mru lists) are stored in

"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\VMware" (inventory.vmls and preferences.ini). What you could do is to e.g. create a batch file in which you replace these files with default files either before starting VMware Workstation or after closing it!?

André

Wilde79
Contributor
Contributor

Deleting/replacing those files helped me to clear the tab of previously used virtual machines. But the file-open location still remembers the location of the last virtual machine that was opened. So still need to figure out how to fix that.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

that goes into registry - see
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32\OpenSaveMRU\*

Wilde79
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, with these two advices combined, I can reset the settings I needed to.

Regards, Ville

0 Kudos