VMware Communities
quiettime
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Request for feature: Please let me use my other VMs when "Cleaning up deleted files" is working

Hello VMware developers, can you please fix VMware Workstation 10 so that I can continue using the other VMs I have open after I have deleted a snapshot? There is a cleaning up deleted files message that takes like 20 minutes a snapshot . So for 20 minutes I can't use my VMs or anything. That's ridiculous! Change from the modal window please so I can minimize the window and continue working. I have 6 VMs open right now and I can't interact with any of them until this is done. Thank you.

8 Replies
Dayworker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Why do not use the built-in OS connectivity functions like VNC, SSH, RDP or a 3rd-party-product like Teamviewer to work inside a guest?

I understand the console as the last option if a guest has a BSOD, kernel Oops, PSOD or if I have to make some administrative changes to virtual machines (snapshot, change in virtual hardware etc).

----- Please do not forget to assign reward points, if you find an answer useful.
0 Kudos
quiettime
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You say why not but I say why... It's easier to just use our VMs in workstation without having to do extra steps.

0 Kudos
quiettime
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm the only one with this problem?

0 Kudos
newbie93
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

quiettime wrote:

I'm the only one with this problem?

No, you're not the only, but since I started using SSDs a couple of years ago, deleting a snapshot typically takes no longer than a couple of minutes now so the delay has become less of an annoyance for me. I do agree with that they should fix it (if they can) but it may not be easy depending on how the Workstation UI is designed. Personally for me, I there are many other problems with a higher priority that should be fixed first.

0 Kudos
quiettime
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bump again. This is a really annoying problem.

0 Kudos
aloshka
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No, I'm with you 100%. Really wish for this functionality too.

0 Kudos
quiettime
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bump again. Someone at VMWare tell me this is in your tracker!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

We agree it is annoying, and it something that we have long wanted to improve.  In the meantime, you could drag the VM tab out to open it in a separate window before deleting snapshots in that VM.