VMware Communities
divisortheory
Contributor
Contributor

Repeated keystrokes

I'm running Workstation 6 on an XP host and an Ubuntu 7.10 Guest. When typing in the guest, I often experience a split second of "lag" and then all of a sudden the same keystroke gets repeated across my screen 10+ times. Has anyone ever experienced this before? I turned down the sensitivity for repeated keystrokes inside Ubuntu and that alleviated the problem slightly, but it makes it a little frustrating because then I have to hold down the key for an awkwardly long period of time before it starts repeating when I actually want that effect.

I'm not sure since I'm very new to VMWare, but I do feel like it's somewhat laggy and wonder if that might be the root cause of why this is going on. I'd appreciate any advice anyone can offer.

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

When you installed the vmware tools, did you configure them on your guest?? it doesnt sound like you have, both the networking issues and the keyrepeats are things Ive seen when not having the tools running - if you install them on linux it doesnt start them running linux windows, it just places the files on the HD ready for you to configure - which then sets them running.

0 Kudos
divisortheory
Contributor
Contributor

Well I was pretty sure I did. What steps can I take to verify this? I definitely installed it correctly. I went through some steps where it was asking me questions in a terminal window such as "Unable to load VMWare Tools in this kernel, would you like this installation program to attempt to automatically compile VMWare Tools for this kernel?" For that particulra question I chose yes and it said that the resulting compiled module loaded into the kernel perfectly. There were lots of other questions as well but I didn't notice any obvious problems when going through these steps.

Is there a way for me to reconfigure VMWare Tools so it does everything again from scratch?

0 Kudos
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

rum vmware-config-tools.pl

It maybe that for some reason it hasnt been starting the services on reboot - if thats the csae you'll need to ensure that the settings are correct in /etc/rc.d (or rc.) directories.

0 Kudos
wadelindsey
Contributor
Contributor

From http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=2308

To work around this issue, try one or both of the following:

• If your Linux guest is running the K Desktop Environment (KDE), use rxvt or xterm instead of Konsole.

• Disable software autorepeat in the virtual machine's X display by using the following command:
    xset r off

</div>

0 Kudos