VMware Communities
jenrrys
Contributor
Contributor

Remove/Modify Reference of Vmware in Virtual Machine (Windows 10)

I'm looking for a solution to modify any possible reference that cleary points the virtual machine in use is actually a virtual machine and change them with custom data, for example when you run in the guest os (windows 10) "msinfo32" you get the info I'm talking about:

Capture.PNG

How is it possible to change those info with custom data so that guest OS can appear as "true" real os?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This?

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Player/DMI-EFI-parameters-how-to-customize-them...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
jenrrys
Contributor
Contributor

I read the thread and it is similar to what I'm looking for but the thread doesn't give any solution 😕

Where is it possible to customize those parameters?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

They go in the VMX file of the VM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
jenrrys
Contributor
Contributor

sir, I went through all of the .vmx file entries but found none that was related to the entries I need to change to make the vm appear a "real" system.

In the thread you linked the user writes some lines but many reflect the host, i don't want that, I want to enter different values than the host, and other lines are hard to understand:

smBIOS.assetTag = "XXXXXXX"

SMBIOS.model="Precision 5530"

SMBIOS.reflectHost = "TRUE"

SMBIOS.noOEMStrings = "TRUE"

smbios.addHostVendor = "TRUE"

serialNumber.reflectHost = "TRUE"

board-id.reflectHost = "TRUE"

hw.model.reflectHost = "TRUE"

The question, I believe, is easy for anybody who has some knowledge and experience in vmware, and many users around the web have been looking for an answer, so can we finally give a definite answer to:

How to modify any reference that cleary points the virtual machine in use is actually a virtual machine and change them with custom data? 🙂

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Pretty sure you would also need to hack about in the Windows registry, and even then I don’t believe you can remove all traces by a combination of these methods.

What is your use case?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

> How to modify any reference that cleary points the virtual machine in use is actually a virtual machine and change them with custom data? 

Option A: if this really is your question then the answer is easy:  use a real emulator like Boch
Option B: if your question is how to run a VMware VM so that it does not get detected by a program running inside the VM that checks wether it runs inside a VM or on real metal then the answer is easy too: forget it.

Nowadays any thirdparty software vendor who wants to know wether his applications is running inside a VM can do this.
Only vendors that give this question a very low priority can still be cheated.

All software vendors that dont want that their software is used inside a VM monitor this forum.
That means when software XY version 11 can be cheated by some vmx-parameters and so will pass the test then the vendor reads about this here in the forum and will make sure that software XY version 12 can no longer be tricked.

So if you really want to cheat the "am I running inside a VMware VM" test then this is the worst location to talk about details !!!

If  you want to cheat the test - keep a low profile - research this on your own and dont talk about the results in public.
Other than that  - as far as I know this race is lost.

Even without any lowlevel code a simple look into the device manager of a VMware VM would be enough to figure out that this machine is not real metal. A mainboard like the one used inside a VM has features that simply dont ever occur on any real mainboard ...

Anyway - what is your use case ?

We will help you - if you have a good reason.  Cheating piracy detection tools is not regarded as a good reason here.
Do not open another post with this topic - the answers will be the same.

Ulli

jenrrys
Contributor
Contributor

The reason I search for a solution to this question is the same as all other people who are searching for this same solution, just be able to legitimately test software under a virtual machine. If you've got some segret tips please send a pm!

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

How does the software “know” it is running in a VM?

What happens when you try and run it?

0 Kudos
jenrrys
Contributor
Contributor

How does the software “know” it is running in a VM?

That is information that only the developer knows.

What happens when you try and run it?

It just shows a warning that the program cannot be run under a vm and you have to close it. It is the same warning that every program gives if it is not allowed to be run under a vm.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So you could be violating a license agreement if you run it in a way the developer did not intend/desire, if that were the case it wouldn’t be something you could discuss on VMTN.

0 Kudos
jenrrys
Contributor
Contributor

Sir, undue suppositions about hypothetical license agreement violations, which nobody here did nor intended to, are detrimental to the forum and to the sharing of knowledge. Don't have such a negative attitude and thinking.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I said “could” and “if”, I have not accused you of anything.

Vendors usually have a good reason to check for a VM environment, you haven’t given any information as to what the software actually is.

0 Kudos
jenrrys
Contributor
Contributor

Option A: if this really is your question then the answer is easy:  use a real emulator like Boch

is the software which is run in the emulator kept separated (sorry for the wrong term, please remind me the correct one) from the host system (sandboxed)?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Yes. It will also be significantly slower and much harder to setup.

0 Kudos