VMware Communities
zongo
Contributor
Contributor

Removable devices not showing: VMware Workstation 9

Greetings to all,

New to virtualization. I got me VMware Workstation 9 on windows 7 ultimate host running Ubuntu 12.04 guest and BackTrack_5_R3. On both, I see no removable devices that the host Win 7 recognizes.

In settings the usb controller is present and using usb compatibility 3.0. All my USB ports are 3.0; hope that is not the issue.

Now my laptop has a camera that is seen in removable devices. But when i connect one usb flash drive for example, it never shows in the removable devices on both guest: Ubuntu 12.04 and BackTrack 5_R3. I tried with an external usb wifi card on both VMs and still no dice. Vmware-tools is installed on both vms and running perfect. latest version of the vmware tools.

I have spent the last day or so trying to figure out the issue but to no avail. I read the manual but could not find any answer. I would really appreciate some help.

One more thing, some posts mentionned a firewall issue. Still same issue with my firewall deactivated.

Kind Regards,

zongo saiba

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
10 Replies
onoski
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I would check to make sure its enabled via the USB device on the Host OS using the VM - Menu Bar -> Removable devices. Finally, on your selected device click "Connect".

Hope this helps?

0 Kudos
zongo
Contributor
Contributor

everything is enable with no issue as far error message.

I cant see any of my removable devices that are connected to the host in the pane "removable device". Therefore cannot click connect.

0 Kudos
zongo
Contributor
Contributor

I have moved a bit forward and I am posting my findings for others.

Recap

USB 3.0

VMware Workstation 9.0

VMware tools latest with VMware Workstation 9

As all my ports are USB 3.0 i activated compat mode in BackTrack 2.0 and left 3.0 in Ubuntu.

Two VMs (Guest)

BackTrack_5_R3 running gnome

Ubuntu 12.04

Host

Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit SP1

USB thumdrive

- Medion

- Kingstone

- Essentiel b

- A Data - Transcend (My Drive)

Tested one usb external wifi card adapter

- Alfa Network

Tested one USB external drive

- Toshiba (3.0)

When I restarted process "vmware-usbextractor" with a reboot of both my VMs (and only then), I saw kingstone, and Transcend in "VM" -> " Removable Devices". I could click connect and use the pen drives as normal.

All the other peripherals tested did not show in "VM" -> "Removable Devices".

I think the issue here is all over the place. Could be that vmware workstation usb drivers 3.0 for machine like mine are not working properly: WIth a mix of peripherals not using correct protocols and advertising with exotic ones on the network. I am saying that because I saw "Kingstone" and "Transcend" but not the other ones. That proves there is nothing wrong with anything but just complex systems and processes. I could be wrong and please, if you know better do correct me.

The last technical fact, would be that drivers used by my laptop and made by ASUS/Intel for usb 3.0 might just not be up to the task yet. The point is that I am not sure of the issue and feel like all seems to be working properly without any fault anywhere. USB 3.0 might be a bit young in the software world.

I will wait a day or two and will certainly close this discussion. In the meantime, if anyone has anything to say, please feel free.

Kind Regards,

zongo saiba

0 Kudos
RayElectrotechi
Contributor
Contributor

Just to reinforce your message: I am unable to use USB3 for a transcend card reader on Kubuntu 12:04 under Workstation 9. An alert is given saying that "it could not use the appropriate controller and the results would be undertermined". So it triggered an action but not the correct one. Plugging in an SD card shows nothing. My computer has both USB2 and USB3. It operates fine if I plug the card reader into usb2 (it is a USB3 card reader). Also, if I disconnect the transcend card reader from the virtual, it opens up in the host OS OK. The VMWare Workstation host is Centos6.3 so that deals with the USB3 device just fine. Looks like a defect in Workstation...

0 Kudos
the0nion
Contributor
Contributor

Just to add.

Yes, restart the VMware usb services.

In my machine, it is called either "vmware-usbarbitrator.exe" OR "vmware-usbarbitrator64.exe"

I restarted it using the "services.msc"...then, restart the VMs (ubuntu, BT etc)

Thanks ><

EDIT: There may be an issue here actually, it appears the restarting the services and restarting the VMs will solve the issue.

Problem is it does not resolve the USB-device-detection on the fly.

Meaning when all has been restarted, and I insert another usb, the VMs will somehow still not detect...not sure where is the problem here...seems to be VMware workstation issue maybe.

0 Kudos
Jt3rry
Contributor
Contributor

I also had issues with my USB 3.0 only ultrabook running Win7 & WS9 until I found this workaround http://virtualizationmaximus.com/2013/01/08/intel-xhci-usb-3-0-controller-usb-passthrough-with-vmwar...

0 Kudos
CongKOR
Contributor
Contributor

I think you've stopped the VMWare USB Arbitration Service.

0 Kudos
cwdunc
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running VMWare 12.5.6 and ran into the same problem today... I was able to regain visibility to the removable devices (excluding the basic 4 it gives you) by closing down the "Home" tab that opens when you power on the VM.

My order of events:

1) Open VM

2) Power on VM profile (ex. Windows)

3) Shut down the profile (ex. Windows)

4) Now exit the "Home" tab from the VM

5) Now close out of all the VMWare program

6) Open up the VM

7) Startup the VM profile (ex. Windows)

After performing this, I was able to see the missing USB devices that was connected to the PC.

I hope this helps someone like me...

0 Kudos
SidPrice
Contributor
Contributor

I am running VM Workstation 12.5.7 and see the same issue the last few days. For me the only way to resolve the issue is to reboot the host.

I noticed, before the reboot that the "VMWare USB Arbitration Service" had  a blank entry in the status column of the Services Window. After a reboot of the host it shows "Running". It is set to be "Automatic (Delayed Start)", is this correct?

I hope this can be resolved because having to reboot the host is very inefficient.

Sid

0 Kudos
Erny102
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I know it's old but I covered all above and didn't work. For me (W7host) solution was to run Workstation as Admin (Right click shortcut, Run as admin). Simple but not so obvious.

E