VMware Communities
RoyOttenNL
Contributor
Contributor

Remote session started at VM client gets disconnected

I have switched laptops and moved my VM clients from my old laptop to my new laptop.

Version of the VMware Workstation of my previous and current installation is the same, v14.1.5 build 10950780

Both laptops are running Windows 10 x64 enterprise

My clients in my current VMware Workstation has now an issue that did not occur in my previous setup which is;

Outgoing connections get disconnected, for example

• when I start an RDP session it stable for a few second (approx. 10 to 20 sec.) and gets disconnected. In this example the host NIC is connected to a wifi router with internet connection.
  • connection to network devices that are directly connected to my laptop are not possible.

Outside my VM clients I have no issues.

The following steps did not help;

• Restoring default settings in virtual network editor
  • creating new bridged connection for each NIC
  • running VMware Workstation and virtual network editor as administrator (while I am already local administrator)
  • Re-installing VMware
  • Disabling firewall and virus scanner on host machine
  • I have copied my client VM to the VMware Workstation of my college where is functions flawlessly.

I am out of ideas

I would appreciate any help on this.

Edit:

This is my setup of bridged connections and mainly use VMnet3

pastedImage_5.png

pastedImage_6.png

0 Kudos
9 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Uncheck the "Replicate physical network connection state" checkbox under bridged settings of your VM.

pastedImage_0.png

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
RoyOttenNL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Wila,

I mainly use "Custom: specific virtual network"

But just for test purposes I configured my VMnet0 to my WiFi NIC and used as you suggested the "Bridged: connected directly to the physical network"

Unfortunately it did not make any difference.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Ok, curious.

When you say:

Outside my VM I have no issues

have you tried pinging for example 8.8.8.8 and see if there are any dropped packets?

eg:

ping -t 8.8.8.8

then let it run for a while and press control+C

Is there any packet loss?

Do you still have the old laptop and does it still work fine down there? (asking that to rule out external factors)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
RoyOttenNL
Contributor
Contributor

I ran ping -t 8.8.8.8 on the VM client and host machine (outside of VM) for 5 min.

there was no packet loss and the responds is constant.

pastedImage_1.png

The previous laptop is "no more", it left me because I cheated on it. :smileysilly:

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Ok.

What happens if you use NAT instead of Bridged.

Do you have the connection drop out then as well?

--

Wil

0 Kudos
RoyOttenNL
Contributor
Contributor

With NAT some RDP session are possible but must aren't.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I don't really understand what you are saying here.

Is the RDP session not possible because you are having connection problems or do you believe that you cannot use NAT for setting up RDP? (FWIW RDP works just fine over NATted networks)

--

Wil

0 Kudos
RoyOttenNL
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

My apologies for not being more clear. Let me try again.

When I use NAT; non secure RDP are possible but secured ones will not start.

There is no firewall between the VM clients and the WiFi router.

I hope my explanation is more, unfortunately the issue is still not.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I'm surprised that NAT does not have the issue whereas a Bridged connection does. Usually it is the opposite.

Are you running any additional helpful software / drivers in the host? (antivirus/antimalware/firewall/custom network helpers etc.. if so.. uninstall, not disable, and try again)

--

Wil

0 Kudos