VMware Communities
ArkansasBen
Contributor
Contributor

Remote Install - Loses network connection

I have a client that I've logged into via LogMeIn. I installed VMware Workstation 9.0.2. And before I even setup my VM, I restart the computer and it absolutely loses the network connection. In other words, it doesn't establish a connection to the network.

Some background on the computer: It's an ASUS CM6830-07 desktop. It uses the WiFi (a Ralink adapter) connection to connect to the local network and is a member of the Windows domain. The workstation runs Windows 8 Professional and there is some software that can only run on Windows 7 so I thought I would setup a VM to do this. Is it possible to have the Windows 7 VM become a member of the domain and work as an actual separate workstation in the network?

I'm not exactly sure what has happened on the workstation, but I first decided to try a competing product (VirtualBox. Booo, I know) and upon restarting, the WiFi adapter had conflicts in Device Manager so I had to walk someone through uninstalling the program, deleting the adapter from Device Manager and restarting and allowing it to find new hardware, install it and then they were good. I can only assume this is what has happened here.

I've used VMware on my workstation (totally unrelated to the above scenario) without any problems in the past. And I've rebooted hundreds of times.

Is there something I'm obviously missing here? Is it even possible to do the remotely? I'll have someone on site Monday to walk through whatever changes I need to make.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide

0 Kudos
0 Replies