VMware Communities
chong67
Contributor
Contributor

Remote Desktop to VMware W7 usually doesnt work

I am having a hard time doing remote desktop(Microsoft version) to my Windows 7 Ultimate (host).

If I boot up my host, right away I can remote in.

Its after like 10 mins or later when the screen saver kicks in. I can remote in, but the whole screen is just dark/blank. I move my mouse, click here and there, and the screen will not come on.

I have try not using Screen Saver and let the monitor say on, it still doesnt work.

Any advice?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Your problem description seems to only be about your physical Host. What makes you think that VMware Workstation is related to the problem you describe?

If, in fact, it is a Win7 Guest that you are having problems with, check under Control Panel -> Power Options and make sure the Guest is not configured to go to sleep after being idle for X minutes.

0 Kudos
chong67
Contributor
Contributor

I am sorry. I get my terminology all mix up.

My VMMware(guest running W7 Ultimate) is having this problem. If I boot my guest up, right away I can remote desktop in.

If I leave it idle for 10 mins, the screen will go blank and sometimes it will come on and sometimes it will not. I usually cannot log into the guest after 10 minutes.

I click here and there and the whole screen is just dark. I do get a connection though.

For the screensave in guest, I did leave it to go BLANK after 10 mins, but NOT turn off the monitor.

In guest, I never put the computer to sleep in the power option.

================

My host is fine. I can remote desktop with no problem, even with the screensave and screen that turn off after 10 mins.

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

What OS is your Host running?

Is your Guest running the 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows 7?

Just a hunch, but try changing the video card inside your Guest to use the "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" . This will also disable the Aero interface, but I am curious if the problem still occurs.

0 Kudos
chong67
Contributor
Contributor

My host is running W7 Ultimate x64.

The guest is running the same thing too.

Where do I change the video card to "Standard VGA Graphic Adapter"?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

My host is running W7 Ultimate x64.

The guest is running the same thing too.

Where do I change the video card to "Standard VGA Graphic Adapter"?

Thanks!

- Start Orb -> type "devmgmt.msc" -> press ENTER to bring up the Device Manager

- Expand the "Display adapters" -> right-click on "VMWare SVGA 3D (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM)" and select Update Driver Software

- Click "Browse my computer for driver software" -> click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" -> select "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter" -> Next

0 Kudos
Scissor
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I forgot to ask which version of VMware Workstation you are running.

But nonetheless, another cause of strange networking problems might be described in this KB article:

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1015940

You could try the suggestions in the linked KB article to see if it helps.

0 Kudos