VMware Communities
bkraul78
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Release of 20H1 updates for VMWare 15.5

Microsoft has now released it's May 2020 update, which includes WSL2. When can we expect support for this (which is supposed to be found in experimental version 20H1) on VMWare Workstation Pro 15.5?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bkraul78
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For those looking for the appropriate answer to this question, VMWare 15.5.5 was released on May 28, 2020. You can read the release notes here:

VMware Workstation 15.5.5 Pro Release Notes

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
beppesk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yesterday i have updated Workstation to 15.5.5, all systems go.

Today i have updated to W10 20H2 and....... all vm on 15.5.5 is without network !!

Damn...

I don't know if it's a VmWare problem or MS problem, i'm still checking.

Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Hi, beppesk:

If uninstall Workstation and re-install it can solve your network issue?  And would you please tell me your Win10 build number?  You can open a cmd dialog and see build information such as "the Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.xxxxx.xxx]"

bkraul78
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

For those looking for the appropriate answer to this question, VMWare 15.5.5 was released on May 28, 2020. You can read the release notes here:

VMware Workstation 15.5.5 Pro Release Notes

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

And, just to note - from the VMware developers - 15.5.5 is built from the codebase of the 20H1 tech preview.  So any changes introduced in the new 20H2 tech preview are NOT in the 15.x branch yet.

0 Kudos
bkraul78
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks for the clarification. I realize my question was worded incorrectly. I am referring to the features that support Hyper-V. This is included on 20H1, which is, as you point out found on 15.5.5.

0 Kudos
bkraul78
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If your VMs are in NAT mode, make sure the installation did not change your base subnet. I uninstalled 15.5.2, installed 15.5.5 and had no issues with the networking for the VMs.

0 Kudos
Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

I read the 15.5.5 release notes, the compatibility matrix is not particularly helpful, and your comment is worrying me - is it certain 15.5.5 can be installed on a Wndows 7 host, given that 15.5.5. and 20H2 share the same codebase and 20H2 definitely does not support Win7?

0 Kudos
beppesk
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, i have indicated an incorrect version of windows: 20H2 instead of 20H1, sorry.

Buil no. is: 19041.264

I solved my problem after uninstall. reboot and a fresh new install of 15.5.5

Very many thanks for you

0 Kudos
bkraul78
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Not to diminish your situation, but is there any particular reason you are still using a Windows 7 host? I am assuming complicated, specific environment constraints?

0 Kudos
Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

No offense taken, I am knowingly diminishing my situation by choosing to not trade 'new' features for control. I described my position here: Re: DirectX 11 now under testing with Workstation Tech Preview 20H2 !

I have no particular environment or constraints. I just live in a bankrupt country and work in a poor University where the PCs I support are old, running Win7 (60%) and XP (30%) and the occasional DOS machines running special controllers. Win10 (the rest 10%) are staff's personal new laptops. I like reading Stephen King and Windows 10 horror stories in Reddit (and occasionally helping people out there too).

Therefore, I will resist 'upgrading' to Win10 as much as I can, meaning until I encounter problems that cannot be solved with Windows 7. This does not mean I will stop reading about Win10 or Workstation 20H2 (especially if it will be allowable to nest WS 20H2 in my 15.5.x guests).

My question remains unanswered however, and this is a bad sign Smiley Sad

0 Kudos