VMware Communities
WTig3ner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Reinstalling VMware Workstation Pro 14.1.7

I run VMware on Kubuntu with a Windows VM.  Yesterday I upgraded my Kubuntu distribution from 18.04 to 20.04.  That went fine.  But now, when I try reinstalling Workstation, I get error messages.

I should explain further.  VMware has been deathly slow about updating Workstation for Kubuntu 20.04, but there is a successful work-around through Github that I used when I went from 14.1.5 to 14.1.7.  When I ran the work-around after installing Workstation, almost all of it worked, but I got two messages when I tried starting VMware Services:  Virtual Machine Monitor -- Failed; Virtual Ethernet -- Failed.  Those apparently preventing Workstation from starting, but I don't understand what they mean or how to address the problem.

Has anyone else encountered this?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

Since the vmmon and vmnet modules were built successfully but their start failed, chances are secure boot is enabled on the host.

With a secure boot host, these modules need to be signed and the keys enrolled.

Look at this https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2146460

0 Kudos
WTig3ner
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

My heart leapt upon hearing your suggestion, but I have not enabled secure boot.

0 Kudos
bluefirestorm
Champion
Champion

You could try the signing part steps of the KB by skipping the mokutil and subsequent reboot step.

0 Kudos