VMware Communities
Bamdad63
Contributor
Contributor

Registry clean up

Hi,

Let say one have a fresh installation of Windows XP PRO on the VMware Workstation. One takes a snap shot of this fresh operating system and call it initial setting. Now one installs an application to make a portable package. Depending on the application there will be some changes in the registryof the operating system.

My question is:

“Reverting to the initial setting means also a clean up of the registry of the operating system?”

Best regards

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Yes, a snapshot actually sets the original disk to read-only and writes all changes to a new virtual disk (vmdk file). This means reverting to a specific snapshot will discard all changes that were made after it was created.

André

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Yes, a snapshot actually sets the original disk to read-only

This portion of your statement is not true. The file attributes are not changed and the parent disk remains writable and there are many cases where users have gone and modified a parent disk when snapshots existed and then get the error that the parent disk has been modified when trying to run the VM again.

and writes all changes to a new virtual disk (vmdk file).

This portion is true however the the Read Only Attribute is not set on the Parent Disk just because one takes a Snapshot.

This means reverting to a specific snapshot will discard all changes that were made after it was created.

This also is true however the reason I've pointed out that as written some of what you said is factually inaccurate, (aside from the fact it is,) and understanding you're just trying to explain in simple terms the overall context of the process nonetheless it's dangerous to assume that the Parent Disk is safe from being modified simply because a Snapshot exists. If one opens that Parent Disk by other means while it has Snapshots, as an example mounting it on the host as a local volume while the VM is not running, it will break the VM when attempting to run normally again. So my intent here is to make sure users understand that the Parent Disk's Attributes are not set to Read Only and can be modified by other legitimate uses and means that can break a working VM if one accidentally or intentionally access the Parent Disk by other normal means while the VM is not running.

0 Kudos
Bamdad63
Contributor
Contributor

Hi WoodyZ,

Thanks for quick responding. I am a newbie. I will never touch the the parent disk to modify it. Please tell me reverting to the initial setting will take care of the registry cleaning or not?

Best regards

0 Kudos