VMware Communities
sshissler_syncs
Contributor
Contributor

Red Hat Enterprise 7 not allowing login / boot to GUI

Hello everyone,

I recently created a RHEL 7 VM.  I selected the options when installing to auto start with the GUI.  This worked for a couple of days.  Last night, however, I wanted to continue working and when the VM booted, it brought up the GUI login, just like before.  However, now when I enter my password, the screen goes black for a moment and brings me right back to the login screen.  It is not saying the password is incorrect, it's almost like it tries to load up the desktop GUI and then just reverts back to the password. 

One other interesting point, if I leave the VM running for some time and come back to try and login, it let's me go in briefly, but my files are not on the desktop so I am thinking some is corrupt.

I am looking for some options to help out.  Can I somehow tell the VM not to boot into the GUI?  I was looking for an option in the .vmx but nothing stood out.

I have setup a lot of software for testing on the VM and would prefer not to start again from scratch.

Thank you,

- Steve Shissler

0 Kudos
1 Reply
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Doubt that this is a  VMWare problem but anything is possible. You might use this method (assuming GRUB) and get in as root and then change your password or create a new user/password to get in:

https://linoxide.com/how-tos/boot-linux-grub-single-user-mode/

0 Kudos