VMware Communities
eodnhoj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Recovering files off of an inaccessible VM

Hi all,

My vm has died and i need some help recovering it, or at least the files on it. I think i might of ran out of space because i tried to delete some files and accidentally copied them, which caused it freeze up and get this gray tint over the whole window. I then tried to shut it down and it wouldnt, so i went into taskmanager and killed the process, and now when i try to open it, it gives me "generic error". Is there any way i can recover the files on this vm?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is that a problem?

</div>

Obviously it is! Smiley Wink

You need you have extra space for other things like the .vmem file which is the size of the RAM assigned to the Virtual Machine and that is not the only thing you need additional space for.

Anyway you should make a copy of the Virtual Machine onto another drive that has more then adequate space and try running it or attempt to recover user data.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Well you did give any information as to the Host OS, Guest OS and or VMware product/version so all I'll say at this point is if applicable have a look at Map or Mount a Virtual Disk to a Drive on the Host in the Help File or if you can boot the Virtual Machine with a Linux Live OS CD/DVD/ISO Image you might be able to preform user data recovery if the virtual hard drive is not corrupted.

0 Kudos
eodnhoj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Host and guest OS's are WinXP pro Sp3, vmware workstation 6.5.1. I tried mapping and it said it could not read volume information. What else can i do? Atttached is a log of what happened before it locked me out.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

It really is preferred that you archive and attach the .log files and not copy and paste the content there of into a reply. It also a hassle to have to keep scrolling down thought it to get to the next reply to continue helping.

How much free space it there on the G: Drive?

0 Kudos
eodnhoj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

0 bytes. But i made the VM to fit the drive, and since the VM doesnt change size and i dont take snapshots or anything i didnt leave any extra room. Is that a problem?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Is that a problem?

</div>

Obviously it is! Smiley Wink

You need you have extra space for other things like the .vmem file which is the size of the RAM assigned to the Virtual Machine and that is not the only thing you need additional space for.

Anyway you should make a copy of the Virtual Machine onto another drive that has more then adequate space and try running it or attempt to recover user data.

0 Kudos
eodnhoj
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hmm, ive never had a problem with it before. I went ahead and put it on a larger drive and viola, it works. I guess VM's do change size. Thanks!

0 Kudos