VMware Communities
ibauer
Contributor
Contributor

Recommended SCSI controller in Windows guests

Hi,

when creating a new VM in VMware Workstation, the wizard will recommend the following SCSI controllers for various Windows guests:

Windows 2000, XP: BusLogic

Windows Vista: LSI Logic

Windows 7 x86/x64: LSI Logic SAS

From the performance point of view, is it reasonable to stick with the recommended options for the above Windows guests?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

In my experience switching scsi-controllers of VMs on Workstation is not worth the effort.

I ususally prefer to use a scsi-controller that is natively supported by the guestOS

ibauer
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply, but can you be more specific, please? Does that mean that I should stick with whatever SCSI controller the "Create New VM" wizard marks as "recommended"?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Yes I would stick with the recommend selection and to Ulli's comment about natively supported this only means that the driver has been included with Windows and not that its a Microsoft created Driver as these Drivers typically are provided by their Manufacture to Microsoft to include with Windows.

If you do an Easy Install the Driver should automatically be provided by VMware Workstation during the install otherwise you'll have to attach the SCSI Driver Virtual Floppy (provided by VMware) and provide it during the Windows Setup if Windows doesn't natively include the Driver.

continuum
Immortal
Immortal

to add to what Woody said ...

the LSI-SAS controller may have a small theoretical advantage - but to notice that you would have to use a vmdk which is preallocated and uses no snapshots.

0 Kudos
ibauer
Contributor
Contributor

OK, thanks guys. I'm going to stick with the recommended SCSI controller for given guest OS.

0 Kudos