VMware Communities
Memnoch30
Contributor
Contributor

Recommended Hardware

I'm moving from a desktop to a laptop for my main computer. I use Workstation mainly for testing new servers and deployments like Exchange 2010 or the new Sharepoint, etc. I'm moving to a laptop because I'm commuting 2-3 hours a day by train and I want to spend that time working on my VMs. My question is, which hardware is most important for VM performance in Workstation? I don't need to run this at high performance, I just want to see, in your experience, which component makes the most difference so I can make a better decision here.

My main concern is the video card, I don't think I need much of a video card for VMs (won't be doing 3D anything here) but wanted to make sure. In my limited experience so far with running VMWare Workstation on laptops, hard drive performance seems to be the limiting factor so I'm getting an SSD. I currently have a Thinkpad W500 which I find a bit heavy and bulky but it performs well. I'm basically trying to decide between a new Thinkpad W510 w/7200rpm HD and just deal with the weight and bulkiness, or go with a T410s with an SSD which is much more portable. I think the portability will make me take the T410s with me more, and be able to work on it more by extension, but I don't want to get screwed if I need a decent video card to draw more than 1 simultaneous VM.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Memnoch30
Contributor
Contributor

Forgot to add that while my current use for Workstation at the desktop is for testing, my usage at the laptop will be mostly for studying. Again my concern is going with a nicer video card and heavy laptop, or more portable and light laptop with an SSD.

0 Kudos
charlez68
Contributor
Contributor

I would imagine full cpu hardware virtualization support would be the single most important factor affecting vm performance in Workstation. A good multicore processor that you can tweak depending on your guests needs would be the component that makes the most difference.

0 Kudos