VMware Communities
moahbaen
Contributor
Contributor

Recommend a starting point for newbie developer

Hi,

I am learning programming and need to use various virtual machine to apply different scenarios.

What is the best way to know most of VMWare and make best use of it?

What to learn to have a solid foundation?

I am using version 16 Pro.

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@moahbaen 

So you're doing your dev work inside VMs?

And only using Workstation Pro to run those VMs?

If so, what are you asking about which is specific to Workstation Pro?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
moahbaen
Contributor
Contributor

@scott28tt wrote:

So you're doing your dev work inside VMs?

Yes exactly, I setup windows 10 in it then install visual studio 2019 after that then do all my developing training work on that VM.

@scott28tt wrote:

And only using Workstation Pro to run those VMs?

It seems or sounds that there are many other usage purposes of the vmware that I am not aware about as create and run VMs is the only purpose I am aware about.

If you may tell more details about that issue that would be awesome.

@scott28tt wrote:

If so, what are you asking about which is specific to Workstation Pro?

The following points are what I am thinking about right now or so far:

1. When I install any tool to try or test it, sometimes I screw and mess a lot of things so i delete the VM and rebuild it once again and install everything all over once again, so is this the right way or right scenario to do stuffs? or there is something better? for example installing Microsoft SQL server 2019 and adjust its settings sometimes do not work the way I need so I rebuild everything all over once again to try it in another way ...etc
  2. How do I connect several VMs together so they can see and connect to each other to test security and access settings?
  3. I've read once in some websites (I can no longer remember where exactly) that there are some ready made VMs for different operating systems that I can just use directly instead of rebuild everything once again, and that for windows 10 and windows server ...etc so if anyone know or hear about something like that, that would be awesome to tell more about it.
  4. sometimes I think that I need to know the maximum benefits or the VMware Workstation, so what should I study to learn it as I think I will need it for the long run

I forget to mention earlier that the license I've is an educational license for the workstation pro.

Thanks a lot 🙂

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@moahbaen 

When I install any tool to try or test it, sometimes I screw and mess a lot of things so i delete the VM and rebuild it once again and install everything all over once again, so is this the right way or right scenario to do stuffs?

As you're using Workstation Pro you could take a snapshot of the VM once you have the OS and other software installed, before you start installing or testing your tools. If something did go wrong, you could revert the VM to the snapshot and it's like you never installed or tested those tools. You can also take multiple snapshots of the same VM - think of each one as a "saved state".

How do I connect several VMs together so they can see and connect to each other to test security and access settings?

Connect them to a Bridged network and they'll be able to use your network the same as your host system, or you can use NAT or a custom network if you want more control over which VMs can see one another and your outside network. Read more here: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/16.0/com.vmware.ws.using.doc/GUID-0CE1AE01-7E79-41...

I've read once in some websites (I can no longer remember where exactly) that there are some ready made VMs for different operating systems that I can just use directly instead of rebuild everything once again, and that for windows 10 and windows server

For Windows, Microsoft provide time-limited VM images - these are called OVF templates. Here's their Windows 10 page: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/virtual-machines/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
moahbaen
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for replying.

But this VM will expire on 4/18/21.

What to do after that date?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@moahbaen 

Microsoft don't supply an "infinite use" VM image as far as I know, so if you have your own license download a Windows ISO file and create your own VM.

RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Even easier than using snapshots - once you have your base VM created/configured the way you like, just power it off.  Then in Windows Explorer, zip up the entire folder.  That way, you have a known good state backup.  If you mess stuff up, just delete the VM, and unzip your backup, and start over -- no need to rebuild from scratch!

Most of the existing pre-built virtual machines are linux-based, as they are freeware, unlike Windows ones... so no expiration date.

Tags (1)
moahbaen
Contributor
Contributor

@scott28tt 

Thanks a lot.

I've downloaded the .pdf manual and print it and studying it right now to know more about what to do with vmware.

@RDPetruska 

That is really very nice tip to know about it.

much appreciated!

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Manual backups and snapshots are great.

One step up from the manual backup procedure (at least in my obviously biased opinion) is to use a tool for making the backups.

You can use the free version of Vimalin for that.
Added benefits are that you can take backups with the VM still running, add notes to your VM, have a library where all your backups are stored.

Eg. you have better VM backup management and it is easier to make and restore those backups.
Those features will always be free as I want VMware users to have easy access to good backups.

The paid version adds features like creating automated backups and getting email notifications, while welcome, it is by no means required to buy a license in order to use the tool.

See my signature for the link.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
moahbaen
Contributor
Contributor

@wila Thanks, I will try it my friend 🙂

0 Kudos