VMware Communities
bubsmcbubs
Contributor
Contributor

Recognizing the Windows Home Edition CD

When I try to install Windows Home Edition for my Virtual Machine, I get an error that the VMWare is unable to find the CD. First I boot my machine, press ESC and select boot from CD (my cd is already in the drive) and then It goes to the blue loading screen, where it proceeds to download dll's and other parts. I can't find the .iso of my cd so I can't make a copy and run VMware from it. I also tried making VMware exclusevlly connect to my disk drive, but it didn't change anything.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal

What exact version of VMware Workstation?

What is your host OS?

Is this CD an OEM CD?

if so, typically, OEM install CDs and OS recovery CDs are designed to place an operating system onto a PC with the factory configuration and defaults specific to that vendor. A VMware virtual machine provides a complete virtual PC for the operating system running in it. The vendor-specific hardware and BIOS components expected by the OEM software are not present inside the virtual machine, and the installation or restore cannot continue. This is also true for physical PCs. If you attempt to use one manufacturer's OEM install or OS recovery CD on a physical PC from different vendor, sometimes even just a different model by the same manufacturer, it will refuse to install. The best way to work around this problem is to install your Guest operating system with a full Microsoft install CD, rather than using an OEM install or recovery CD.

Post the .vmx file from the virtual machine

bubsmcbubs
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Kevin,

My Host OS is Windows Home Edition as well. I am using the exact same CD, which means I used it to full install and not repair, although when I start it up, it does allow me to repair my host system, which leads me to believe it is not an OEM CD. Is there any download I can use to get the .iso or other way to access the install from my host machine instead of a CD? I don't need to buy another windows CD, do I? I don't see a way to post my .vmx file on this forum, what do I use to upload the file?

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

I don't see a way to post my .vmx file on this forum, what do I use to upload the file?

It's a short text file. Just copy and paste the text here.

Is your CD a retail MS CD, or one which came with your system?

bubsmcbubs
Contributor
Contributor

config.version = "8"

virtualHW.version = "4"

scsi0.present = "TRUE"

memsize = "256"

MemAllowAutoScaleDown = "FALSE"

ide0:0.present = "TRUE"

ide0:0.fileName = "Windows XP Home Edition.vmdk"

ide1:0.present = "TRUE"

ide1:0.fileName = "D:"

ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"

floppy0.present = "FALSE"

ethernet0.present = "TRUE"

usb.present = "TRUE"

sound.present = "TRUE"

sound.virtualDev = "es1371"

sound.fileName = "-1"

sound.autodetect = "TRUE"

displayName = "Windows XP Home Edition"

guestOS = "winxphome"

nvram = "Windows XP Home Edition.nvram"

ide0:0.redo = ""

ethernet0.addressType = "generated"

uuid.location = "56 4d 7d 46 f0 ee eb 2f-c2 28 4f cd 73 c3 32 87"

uuid.bios = "56 4d 7d 46 f0 ee eb 2f-c2 28 4f cd 73 c3 32 87"

ide1:0.autodetect = "FALSE"

ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:c3:32:87"

ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"

checkpoint.vmState = ""

ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"

ide1:0.exclusive = "TRUE"

tools.remindInstall = "TRUE"

This is my .vmx. My Home Edition CD was bought away (separately) from my computer, so I am guessing it is retail.

0 Kudos
bubsmcbubs
Contributor
Contributor

Oh i forgot, my workstation is version 5.5.3.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
jimbo45
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

There is a way in fact of doing this although it \*might* contravene your OEM license.

1) obtain and install Acronis 9.1 Workstation with Universal restore on your original physical machine.

2) Create a partition image of your Windows OS on an accessible disk using the Acronis product . A network disk or USB disk is fine for this purpose.

We will use THIS IMAGE and not the original CD when creating our VM as this will have all the Windows file structures intact with the necessary windows components, drivers / directories set up correctly in the acronis image (labelled xxxx.tib)

3) Create bootable recovery media from the Acronis product

4) Create an empty VM. Ensure the disk space is large enough to restore the partition image we created in step 2.

5) Set the Virtual Bios (press ESC when starting the VM) to boot from a CD

6) Boot your Recovery Acronis CD AND ENABLE UNIVERSAL RESTORE. Select an appropriate size for the partition restore if you want to alter the size of the restored partition and set the partition type to ACTIVE. You'll get these prompts from the Acronis restore menu -- it's extremely simple.

The restore program might ask you to re-boot during its processing and might possibly prompt you for Drivers if any really funny drivers are being used -- this occurs much more often when you are doing the reverse process -=-converting a Virtual Machine to a Real machine (V2P - Virtual to Physical).

This will essentially perform a P2V (Physical to Virtual) conversion for you.

If the image you created in step 2) is on a Network drive the restore option will have an option Computers Near Me. Expand this to access your network drive. The Acronis product has its own network drivers enabled and I haven't yet found a network card it doesn't work with.

USB disks will be shown as local drives although the disk letters might be different to when you booted Windows on your real / physical machine.

7) Boot up your new Windows VM --You might get asked for re-activation so what you say to M$ is your own business. Being an OEM version of Windows it \*might* just activate anyway.

Once you've booted up your new Windows VM install vmware tools and you are ready to go.

Another option although I haven't actually tried this is to set up the VM using a RAW disk.

If you want to go that route I suggest you try and get help from other members of these Forums who've used RAW disks.

I've found the Acronis 9.1 workstation product really good both for P2V and V2P conversions -- rarely if ever fails on a whole slew of different hardware provided you follow the instructions.

Note if you have a large 150 GB disk for example and you've got everything in one partition then the method I've described above will be a bit impracticable as you'll need a similar size partition on your target VM.

It usually makes much better sense to keep only your OS and some programs that need to be installed in the Windows partition in a separate partition and keep all your user data, music, email etc etc in separate partitions or Disks. That way a 12 GB Windows partition will probably be MORE than large enough for almost any set of applications.

Another advantage of separating the OS partition from the Data is that if you have to re-install your OS you don't lose or need to recover your own DATA.

Modern computers can easily tolerate the slight I/O degradation in splitting the OS from the data if it's on one disk, and the advantages more than make up for this anyway.

You might be able to do some re-partitioning on your Physical system before you start creating the VM.

Finally if you don't have enough disk space to create the Acronis Images you can burn direct to a DVD. Acronis has built in DVD burning facility - takes a bit longer of course.

However ensure that on restore the DVD is on a DIFFERENT drive to the drive you booted the recovery program from. I.E you'll need to ensure your VM is defined as having 2 DVD/CD drives.

You unfortunately can't dismount the "boot" drive and insert the DVD image. It works sometimes but not always so I'd avoid that option.

I suspect the size of restore and amount of RAM in the VM has something to do with this but it's easier and quicker to use Disks.

A 12 GB Windows partition on a typical machine takes around 25 mins for the restore so no big deal - and it's FAR quicker than a Windows install from scratch on to a VM anyway).

Cheers

-J

0 Kudos
bubsmcbubs
Contributor
Contributor

Im stuck on step 2. Which of these tools do I use? Backup, Recovery, Clone Disk, or add new disk?

0 Kudos
jimbo45
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi there - You'll have to install Acronis Workstation 9.1 first. It's a commercial product but worth every penny, (Euro-) cent, zloty, ruble etc etc.

When you've installed it you create the partition image in step 2 by using the BACKUP.

You do the RESTORE by using the RECOVERY option.

Cheers

-J

0 Kudos
bubsmcbubs
Contributor
Contributor

for step 3, is it okay to make an .iso instead of burning to a cd?

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Do you have a DVD-device ?

If yes - try a regular setup with your XP-home-cd with this change to your vmx-file

ide1:0.deviceType = "atapi-cdrom"

0 Kudos
bubsmcbubs
Contributor
Contributor

I am now on step 6. I am trying to find the .tib to recover from. First, I booted my machine. Then I pressed ESC and selected boot from CD. (I already had the CD drive go straight to my .iso I created from Acronis.) When inside the Acronis program, I used the Acronis Bootable Agent to set up my network and drivers. Then I used the True Image Workstation (Full version). I used the Recovery option, clicked Next, and got to this screen (Its just a link to an image on imageshack.us

http://img74.imageshack.us/my.php?image=27440670fs1.png

I had my partition image of windows disk on my flash drive, which was inside, but I couldn't locate it on the menu. I also had a copy of the .tib on my host machine (through the Computers Near Me menu), but when I selected it and went through the process, I got this error.

http://img112.imageshack.us/my.php?image=41118347we8.png

0 Kudos
bubsmcbubs
Contributor
Contributor

I FOUND THE ANSWER!!!!

I was using an upgrade windows home edition cd instead of a full install. Uh.. I feel pretty stupid. Thanks for all your help.

0 Kudos