VMware Communities
ttutko
Contributor
Contributor

Recent Workstation 11 purchase - Upgrade to 12

I just bought Workstation 11 3 months ago and now it's $150 for me to go to Workstation 12 already?! That is ridiculous. I feel even worse for anyone who bought Workstation 11 this month. Licenses should include 1 year of free upgrades to any versions released during that timeframe!

0 Kudos
7 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

People who bought this month are eligible for a free upgrade, see also Discover Windows 10 on your Windows or Linux PC today using VMware Workstation 11 with 10% off and a...

I'm not exactly sure what the date cut off is for free upgrades, I doubt you're still within that date range.

But you could certainly contact VMware sales and ask them.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

from VMware KB: VMware Workstation 12.x Pro sales, licensing, and compatibility FAQs

What is the Technology Guarantee Program?

VMware provides a complimentary copy of VMware Workstation 12 Pro, if you purchased a copy of Workstation 11 from Online Store or select Resellers between July 29th, 2015 and September 30th, 2015.

André

0 Kudos
NoelC1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I understand your frustration, ttutko, but...

1.  You chose to wait until WELL after the initial release of VMware Workstation 11 to buy it.

2.  No one is forcing you to buy Workstation 12 right away.  Enjoy version 11 a while longer.  It's not like it's obsolete.

-Noel

0 Kudos
thewul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well, I can understand the frustration of ttutko.

I bought v11 just 2 months ago. Surely the price is justified, but it is not really cheap and frankly if I knew the next release was nearby, I would have waited.

Personally I waited until more information was available with regards to the release of Windows 10, there was no real need to upgrade earlier.

Yes, it is well after the v11 release date and yes, one can continue to use v11.

But as said, it is bit of a disappointment that the 'grace-period' is just one month, not, say 3 months.

=

0 Kudos
NoelC1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Out of curiosity, if the upgrade were $99, instead of $149, would you have felt strongly enough to post here?  Or just bought it?

Keep in mind many of us who have had the version 11 product since right when it was released think the $149 price is a bit too high too...

-Noel

0 Kudos
newbie93
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I may never purchase 12 (and anything beyond) since it looks like unity support is gone (on non-MS guest/host OS), just when it became more useful on systems with multiple monitors.

Appararently VMWare didn't want to (or can't) do the work to make Unity work with DirectX10+ and decided to sacrifice it.

On the whole, to me, Workstation is becoming a lot less viable moving forward, I am starting to look at alternatives since I work with mixed environments (linux, solaris and MS). I am seriously considering going back to physical machines (multiple laptops) because at least then I don't have to deal with this 9 month (pay more money each time) upgrade cycle that VMWare wants everyone to pay and as a bonus, I get DirectX 10, 11, 12 with no upgrades needed and VNC will give me Unity functionality for free as well.

I hope VMWare enjoys getting into bed with their new partner (Microsoft). Software and companies don't live forever..

0 Kudos
thewul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The price is different in each country I suppose, but in my case it would be eur.152 incl. VAT (=USD.170)

The usd 99 would, of course, be less painful to accept.

Although I agree that finally it is upto the user to decide whether or not to buy the software, still one feels

some kind of 'disappointment' to see a new release come out on such short term.

As said, personally I would have waited till v.12 was released, if I knew it was due to release soon,

same as I would have continue using my  old car and buy the latest model when it was due within a few months.

=

0 Kudos