VMware Communities
mcotterman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Rebuilding vmdk, but need CID

I have searched around, but not found anything applicable to Workstation.

I am running VMWare Workstation 6 using a virtual machine that is split into 2GB files. It looks like the .vmdk file has been deleted, but that actual vdrive files are still intact. All I need to rebuild this virtual machine is the correct CID to place into the .vmdk file. Does anyone know how to retreive the parent cid value from the large 2GB files?

Cheers!

-Mike

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You don't need it. Just use any random 8-digit Hex value.

The CID value for a virtual disk is only located in the disk desciptor file, and is only important if you have snapshots - to identify the place in the chain of that particular virtual disk file(s).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

You don't need it. Just use any random 8-digit Hex value.

The CID value for a virtual disk is only located in the disk desciptor file, and is only important if you have snapshots - to identify the place in the chain of that particular virtual disk file(s).

0 Kudos
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Create a new VM with a virtual disk the same size as the original VM, same VM name, same dik name, split into 2GB files.

This new disk descriptor file (.vmdk) could be used to fix your existing VM.

Always make a backup of the original broken VM, before making any changes, so you can go back if you make a mistake along the way.

mcotterman
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You know it is funny...I had already tried this twice, but I thought lest do it again...

The last several times i did not use the same path and just copied the vmdk file into the VM directory. When I would boot I got an error saying that it could not find the 0001 file and browsing did not help.

This time I used the same path (as you suggested) and copied the 001-5 files into the directory. That was the winner.

Thank you!

-Mike

0 Kudos