VMware Communities
cstocci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Re: windows 10 1809 slow

Hi,

Running Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC guest VM which is Windows 10 version 1809 and have what all other are saying with the incredibly slow boot-up.  However, after letting the system get through its 100% CPU usage for about 6-10 minutes, the CPU drops to very low levels and the VM runs fine and fast!  No BSOD or other issues.  Just the boot-up process with version 1809 of Windows 10 regardless whether it is Enterprise LTSC, Enterprise or Pro.

My VMware is Workstation Pro 15.5.1 build-15018445.  Host is Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

From what I have read, it appears there will be no real answer from either Microsoft or VMware as they need to deal with Microsoft which seems to have "dropped" the issue.  Is this about right?

Chris

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Moderator: Branched from an old thread in the ESXi area to a new thread in the Workstation Pro area.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Techstarts
Expert
Expert

small correction: It becomes slow only after you take snapshot. Before that everything is perfect.

Your issue may not be related to the thread you have originally posted.

With Great Regards,
0 Kudos
cstocci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Preetam.

I read about the snapshots, but I do not have any, nor do I ever use that option.  This extreme sluggishness is something to do between Windows 10 1809 and even up to 1909 from what I read, and Workstation Pro 14.xx and beyond.

Another article I have read, and I will get the citation and send it along to the forum, is Microsoft is deliberately causing this issue as they are not happy about people having multiple Windows OS's running on one machine without paying for them, so they are creating issues for any VM whether VMware or Virtual Box.  Microsoft is also thinking of implementing their own VM engine (used for their own developers as well as a SAS item like Office 365) and this goes along with some of their ideas on acquiring and interactive capability with Linux (another small competition.)

BTW, that information was from an "insider" that regularly beta tests different aspects of the Microsoft apps and OS.

Chris

0 Kudos
Techstarts
Expert
Expert

hmm.

At least I have not seen the problem which you are describing below.

But I agree there are multiple issues around the latest release of Windows 10.

Because I do not see everyone is complaining about 1809 and above release.

In fact, there is another issue where Windows 10 goes black screen between 5 -30 seconds.

With Great Regards,
0 Kudos
cstocci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi Preetam,

I wish the only issue was a "black" screen for 5 to 30 seconds, but then operate normally.  That would be OK in my book.  As for what community is talking about the very slow boot time for Windows 10 1809, see the following VMware community site (March 7, 2019):

Windows10-1809 boot time takes 5-6 minutes

There are other in other times and some have even described this slow boot-up in later versions including 1909 (November 2019).  I wanted to try and use Windows 10 Enterprise 2019 LTSC as a way to NOT have to deal with Microsoft's productivity "improvements" to their operating system.

I have your Workstation Pro 15.5.1 build-15018445 product running three VMs with two Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) and one Linux MINT and all are fast and work great and never have any issues at all!  The host system in Windows 10 Pro (64-bit) version 1909 (19H1) running on a dual Xeon CPU Supermicro X11DAC motherboard with 192 Gbytes of DDR4 RAM.  This Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC (1809) guest should not be tying up 100% CPU utilization for 5-6 minutes at each startup on my host machine.  BTW, I gave the VM 2 CPUs and 4 cores for each CPU along with 32 Gbytes of memory to run.  Plenty of memory and horsepower!

Chris

0 Kudos
cstocci
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Folks,

After both the Workstation Pro upgrade to 15.5.5 and the MS Windows 10 version 2004 (the May 2020 update), things are very fast now.  Windows 7 Pro, Windows 10 LTSC 2019 and other operating systems are are now up and running in about 15 seconds.  HUGE improvement, in fact, this issue as far as I am concerned, is now gone!

Chris

0 Kudos
ccl013
Contributor
Contributor

My issue is totally the opposite: after upgrading to Windows 10 2004, VM is running super slow.

0 Kudos