VMware Communities
gbohn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

RHEL 8.4 and 3D KDE Plasma Guest crash

Hi;

I'm using VMWare Workstation Pro 16.1.2 on a Windows 10 20H2 Host to run a RHEL Guest and have an issue trying to use KDE Plasma Desktop on RHEL 8.4.

Using a RHEL 8.3 Guest everything seems o.k.. After upgrading this Guest to RHEL 8.4 I found that I could not log in to the guest using a KDE Plasma desktop anymore (which used to work fine).

F.W.I.W. under RHEL 8.4 the Gnome desktops I tried seem to work fine, so it seems to be KDE Plasma related.

Trying to log in to a RHEL 8.4 Guest I get a crash pop-up window for 'ksplashqml' (in the guest) and then a black screen with a mouse pointer only (in the guest). I have to then use 'VM/Power/Shutdown Guest' to get anywhere, which works).

I eventually figured out that if I Disable 3D Acceleration in the Guest settings, then I can log in to KDE Plasma without this issue.

Is there any known incompatibility with KDE Plasma, VMWare Workstation, and 3D acceleration?

For what it's worth under RHEL 8.3 I see that open-vm-tools-11.1.0-2.el8.x86_64 is installed in the guest.

Under RHEL 8.4 open-vm-tools-11.2.0-2.el8.x86_64 is installed.

Thanks;

0 Kudos
0 Replies