VMware Communities
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Quick poll: Interested in accessing the guest native Start Menu in Unity?

Please help the Workstation team by answering these questions:

1) Currently, in Unity we show a custom menu to launch applications. Would you prefer the actual guest Start Menu?

2) If yes, why? What is missing from the current menu?

3) Would you be willing to resize or relocate the task bar in the guest?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

For me its not that the current thing doesnt offer functionality I need, I would just rather it was a submenu on the hosts startmenu..

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Liz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

For me its not that the current thing doesnt offer functionality I need, I would just rather it was a submenu on the hosts startmenu..

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Don't know - I have no use for Unity.

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
matthewls
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I like the custom menu, and I also like the actual guest task bar in Fusion, which I do resize and relocate.

The separate task bars are easier to parse than the interleaved icons for VM and host programs.

As usual, I advocate user choice. I sometimes turn off the guest task bar in fusion, depending on what I'm doing...

RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Don't know - I have no use for Unity

I completely agree - to me, Unity is useless eye candy. I cannot stand not knowing how/where my applications are running... can't stand the similar feature/function of Citrix published applications.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Seems there is no interest in this. Thanks for the feedback!

0 Kudos
rtarnell
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I would like this!

Actually, I don't care about the start menu, but I'd like to see the guest system tray. I run a couple of applications which sit in the tray when not in use, and having to un-Unity, open them, then switch back is inconvenient.

Actually, what would be even better is if icons in the guest system tray appeared in my host's system tray.

0 Kudos
mraming
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm running a Windows 2000 guest in Unity mode and I'm missing two critical things from the guest's start menu:

The Settings - Network and Dialup menu

The system tray of the guest. For example, I'm running Microsoft Office Communicator 2007 in the guest. When I minimize communicator, it minimizes to the system tray and I can no longer access it without exiting from Unity model.

I like the option of having the complete taskbar and start menu appear as a uniy window that I can then dock to either side of my screen - similar to how Virtual Box does (or did, only evaluated it briefly a long time ago). You can stil use the colored border like any other unity window to allow the user to identify the window as one of a particular guest.

0 Kudos