VMware Communities
abhishes
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Question on Networking

Hello,

I am running VMWare Workstation 7, the guest OS is ubuntu linux.

When my guest connects to the internet, I want it to use the internet connection settings of the host OS, and not its own IP (or settings).

Reason is that I am travelling, and staying in a hotel which charges $15 per day for internet. (will be camped here for 3 weeks).

Now if I try to install a software on my guest (Ubuntu) OS, it again asks me to pay $15 for the Guest OS.

What I want is that VMWare should be able to use the host internet connection like all browsers. This will save me some money.

Is it possible?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

if you want the guest use the connection of the host (his ip settings) all you need to to is configure the guest with a nat interface (not bridge or hostonly).

In the virtual network editor configure as nat the host's physical interface that connects to internet. Then assign this nat interface to the guest. Now you should be able to navigate to internet in the guest using the host connection

Hope this helps you Smiley Happy

Regards/Saludos,

Pablo

Please consider awarding any helpful answer. Thanks!! - Por favor considera premiar las respuestas útiles. ¡¡Muchas gracias!!

Virtually noob blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Borja_Mari
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Hi,

if you want the guest use the connection of the host (his ip settings) all you need to to is configure the guest with a nat interface (not bridge or hostonly).

In the virtual network editor configure as nat the host's physical interface that connects to internet. Then assign this nat interface to the guest. Now you should be able to navigate to internet in the guest using the host connection

Hope this helps you Smiley Happy

Regards/Saludos,

Pablo

Please consider awarding any helpful answer. Thanks!! - Por favor considera premiar las respuestas útiles. ¡¡Muchas gracias!!

Virtually noob blog

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- PLEASE CONSIDER AWARDING any HELPFUL or CORRECT reply. Thanks!! Por favor CONSIDERA PREMIAR cualquier respuesta ÚTIL o CORRECTA . ¡¡Muchas gracias!! VCP3, VCP4, VCP5-DCV (VCP550), vExpert 2010, 2014 BLOG: http://communities.vmware.com/blogs/VirtuallyAnITNoob
0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

In the virtual network editor configure as nat the host's physical interface that connects to internet.

There is already a VMnet assigned to NAT, VMnet8 to be specific, when Workstation is installed. Therefore unless there is no Network/Internet Connectivity when selecting NAT in the Virtual Machine's Network Adapters settings or one has previously modified the defaults then there should be no need to go into the Virtual Network Editor. In other words NAT should work out of the box and not need to be modified unless one needs to bind it to a specific Host Network Adapter in a case when there is more then one Network Adapter on the Host that is active.

Then assign this nat interface to the guest. Now you should be able to navigate to internet in the guest using the host connection

Assigning the Guest's Network Adapter to use NAT is all that should be necessary.