VMware Communities
sbn390
Contributor
Contributor

Public IP for my VM

I have an external ip, can I expose my local vm created using the vmware to outside network using my static external ip

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

There are two ways to expose a VM to the outside world:

• Configure the VM for Bridged networking. This will require a separate IP address for the VM on the network you are bridging to. If you have a static IP address, you probably can't use this. 
  • Configure the VM for NAT networking. For each service that you want to access in the VM, you will need to know its IP port number and then you must configure NAT port forwarding that maps an unused IP port in the host to the IP address and port of the service.

Example of the NAT port forwarding:

If you wish to access SSH in the VM from the outside world, and port 7901 is unused on the host, you would configure NAT port forwarding of port 7901 to the VM's IP address and port 22. You would access the service at host-ip:7901

See the Workstation Pro documentation for more information on how to configure NAT port forwarding: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/17/com.vmware.ws.using.doc/GUID-E146C894-664C-479A...

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos