VMware Communities
marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Problems with mouse after converting from Virtual PC

I converted a Windows XP based VM created in Microsoft Virtual PC to VMware Workstation in order to use it with ACE.

The conversion worked fine, but using the converted VM I have serious (even if intermittent) problems with the mouse. The mouse stops responding, or if I press it the pointer goes to the other side of the screen without selecting the item I attempted to activate.

If I install the Mouse Support in VMware tools the mouse stops working at all.

I found similar problems described in several forums allover the Internet, and the suggested solution is uninstalling "Microsoft VM additions" before converting the VM to VMware.

Can anybody please confirm that it is a known problem? Is it documented anywhere in the VMware site?

Uninstalling Microsoft VM additions can solve the problem or should I implement a different solution?

Regards

Marius

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Marius,

Make sure to remove the Microsoft Virtual PC Add-ons. It's like what VMware Tools does. So essentially you are running 2 versions of tools.

That's the typical problem/solution. You don't need them anymore, and your mouse function should work okay afterwards.

Mouse cursor disappears or stops working properly after installing Tools to a Windows virtual machine converted from Microsoft Virtual Server or Virtual PC. Networking may also not function properly.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1002239/

I think we might need a shorter name to that document :smileysilly:

Cheers,

EvilOne

1 - Check the documents

2 - Search the forums

3 - Post Question

And remember to award points to those who assist you.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

The suggested solution is uninstalling "Microsoft VM additions" before the conversion

marius1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thank you for your message. Is the solution documented anywhere? Is there anything else I can do or I must be aware of while converting from Virtual PC to VMware Workstation?

Regards

Marius

0 Kudos
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Marius,

Make sure to remove the Microsoft Virtual PC Add-ons. It's like what VMware Tools does. So essentially you are running 2 versions of tools.

That's the typical problem/solution. You don't need them anymore, and your mouse function should work okay afterwards.

Mouse cursor disappears or stops working properly after installing Tools to a Windows virtual machine converted from Microsoft Virtual Server or Virtual PC. Networking may also not function properly.

http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1002239/

I think we might need a shorter name to that document :smileysilly:

Cheers,

EvilOne

1 - Check the documents

2 - Search the forums

3 - Post Question

And remember to award points to those who assist you.

0 Kudos