VMware Communities
tblizard
Contributor
Contributor

Problems with bridged networking on Vista x64 host

I am experiencing two problems when running a Windows XP Pro x86 guest on a Windows Vista x64 host using VMWare Workstation 6.5.0 Build 118166.

1. When doing a Build Solution under Visual Studio 2005 where the solution was loaded from a mapped drive (V:) to a shared folder on the host, the build fails due to Access Denied errors attempting to create temporary files (CSCxxx.TMP) on the V: drive.

Interestingly, if I run Process Monitor (from Microsoft) in the guest with capture running, then the builds succeed.

2. From the guest I am able to ping the network router and outside (internet) IP addresses but not the address of the host, which results in a timeout.

However, once I ping from the host to the guest, THEN pinging from the guest to the host does work for a period of time before failing again.

If I switch to Host-Only networking through VMnet1, both these symptoms go away and performance improves significantly however I can't access the Internet from the guest, which is a necessity for me.

Can anyone shed any light on this and suggest a solution. The problem did not occur with this same guest VM when I was running the host under Windows XP Pro x86.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
MarcSant
Contributor
Contributor

Did you check the default permissions on the share that resides on host machine?

The default permissions on vista is quite diferent from XP, and I guess this could be a permissions issue.

MarcSant.

0 Kudos