VMware Communities
FMA1394
Contributor
Contributor

Problems with VMWare Workstation on Fedora hosts and Windows guests

Having a problem on two different machines. I've had this problem with Fedora 20 and every version of VMWare Workstation 10 (10.0.0->10.0.3)

1. Dell Latitude E6510 / Intel 720QM / 8GB

2. SuperMicro X8SIE-F / Xeon X3440 / 12GB

This problem occurs with both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 guests. The machines run fine, but sometimes (every other time it seems) when you tell the guest to shut down (Start -> Shut Down, OK) the host machine locks up.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

32-bit or 64-bit Fedora 20?

0 Kudos
FMA1394
Contributor
Contributor

64 bit on both machines.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You could try adding these options to your .vmx file:

vmx.buildType = debug

log.syncAfterWrite = TRUE

With any luck, the vmware.log file will shed some light on the problem, after the fact.

0 Kudos
FMA1394
Contributor
Contributor

OK, so I've got a crash log. This one came from my laptop mentioned in the original post. It was half way into pausing the virtual machine and then died. Here is a link to the log file: https://mega.co.nz/#!jNIHCIgZ!S1L_jlD2_8VbOCx62TNpGGmY92u2kbOM3xW8EpoZKvU

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Please attach it to this thread.  In your reply, click on 'Use advanced editor' in the upper right, and you will be given the opportunity to attach files below the text box.

0 Kudos
FMA1394
Contributor
Contributor

Not sure why that is necessary or why that's an advanced feature, but here you go.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Did Workstation come with kernel modules for your host OS, or did it have to build them?  If it built them, which version of gcc do you have on your host? (What is the output of gcc -v?)

0 Kudos
FMA1394
Contributor
Contributor

I don't know. Here is gcc -v:

[USERNAME@localhost ~]$ gcc -v

Using built-in specs.

COLLECT_GCC=gcc

COLLECT_LTO_WRAPPER=/usr/libexec/gcc/x86_64-redhat-linux/4.8.3/lto-wrapper

Target: x86_64-redhat-linux

Configured with: ../configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share/man --infodir=/usr/share/info --with-bugurl=http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla --enable-bootstrap --enable-shared --enable-threads=posix --enable-checking=release --with-system-zlib --enable-__cxa_atexit --disable-libunwind-exceptions --enable-gnu-unique-object --enable-linker-build-id --with-linker-hash-style=gnu --enable-languages=c,c++,objc,obj-c++,java,fortran,ada,go,lto --enable-plugin --enable-initfini-array --enable-java-awt=gtk --disable-dssi --with-java-home=/usr/lib/jvm/java-1.5.0-gcj-1.5.0.0/jre --enable-libgcj-multifile --enable-java-maintainer-mode --with-ecj-jar=/usr/share/java/eclipse-ecj.jar --disable-libjava-multilib --with-isl=/builddir/build/BUILD/gcc-4.8.3-20140624/obj-x86_64-redhat-linux/isl-install --with-cloog=/builddir/build/BUILD/gcc-4.8.3-20140624/obj-x86_64-redhat-linux/cloog-install --with-tune=generic --with-arch_32=i686 --build=x86_64-redhat-linux

Thread model: posix

gcc version 4.8.3 20140624 (Red Hat 4.8.3-1) (GCC)

0 Kudos
FMA1394
Contributor
Contributor

Here is a crash (crashed the host) from today when the VM went to sleep (paused). Help.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I don't see any clues in the log file.  Is there anything helpful in /var/log/messages on the host?

Also, can you check and see if you are getting a lot of NMIs on your host:

grep NMI /proc/interrupts; sleep 10; grep NMI /proc/interrupts

0 Kudos
FMA1394
Contributor
Contributor

$ grep NMI /proc/interrupts; sleep 10; grep NMI /proc/interrupts

NMI:        378        385        373        389        305        294        314        369   Non-maskable interrupts

NMI:        378        385        373        389        305        294        314        369   Non-maskable interrupts

Attached is most recent /var/log/messages. Please note that usernames and network names have been redacted for privacy reasons.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I see some kvm message in /var/log/messages.  Are you running kvm virtual machines concurrently on this host?

0 Kudos
dragongc
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Bump.

I've got a similar issue.

Host - Ubuntu 14.04 - Dell E6430 Workstation 10.03

Guest - Win 2012 R2

Have you found the solution ?

Cheers

Gregory

0 Kudos
FMA1394
Contributor
Contributor

never solved this. It still happens. No, I'm not running KVM on any of the machines that this is happening on.

This also happens with Windows Technical Preview just the same as Windows 8 and 8.1.

0 Kudos