I have win7 64bit

SSD

I set the BIOS to VT-x enable

I need help with Converting Machine

I used VMware vCenter Standalone also VMware Workstation Ver 6.5

I get the error message Disk-Base-Cloning

And VMware Converter Agent system error

The error message reads

The source computer has GPT disks Conversion of live computer with GPT disk is not supported. Conversion of virtual machines with GPT disks is supported only if disk-based cloning is preformed

Thank you for any help

What shoud I do

See attached

0 Kudos
4 Replies
mfelker
Expert
Expert

The source computer has GPT disks Conversion of live computer with GPT disk is not supported. Conversion of virtual machines with GPT disks is supported only if disk-based cloning is preformed

Well.  I looks like the only lthing  is to  change the host GPT disk to a standard MBR disk. You will have to research this youiself since the problem is not with VMwarfe (maybe you can convince the developers to fix this - a feature request Smiley Happy).

Seriously I convert GPT disk to MBR disks using the shareware program Bootit Bare Metal by terabyteunlimited.  Great program in many ways -check it..

PS.  It is possible that you could do tis with the trail version.  You don't have to install it.  It is a bootable CD.  When its ask if you want to install it just cancel and go to "Parition Work" where you might change it.  I say might because I don't have a trial version - I bought.

Doubt this was the answer you very looking for.  However tghere should be other progralms tgo convert the disk type - may some are even free.  Y0ou  will need to Google such things including youir orginal question.

Good luck!

gegrove
Contributor
Contributor

GPT disk to MBR disks

How did my drive get GPT in the first place?

I have Acronis disk Director 11 and it says that the drive is NTFS and MBR

See attached

Can I change this using Acronis Disk Directory

So how does a drive get to GPT in the first place?

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

I don't know.Smiley Sad  If Acronis is reporting the disk typle is MBR than there os  no reason to change it (in fact I wouldn't myself).  I can only suggest you                download the VMware Convger User manual and work through that

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/VMware_Converter_manual301.pdf

gegrove
Contributor
Contributor

I took another look using Acronis and found that Drive D was using GPT how stupid is that?

Using Acronis Disk Director 11 it was very easy to convert to MBR just a mouse click.

I still can’t convert but I well keep trying different things, at lease I don’t have the GPT error any more.

Thank you for your help

0 Kudos