VMware Communities
_XiphosS_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problems with CD/DVD (IDE) Connection...

So hey! I'm mostly new to VMware stuff, I did my best to get a good title but it may not even be correct for my problem 😆
Recently, I got Workstation 16 and decided to try out Windows XP again...it all worked well but I faced a problem: I coulden't install VMware tools which I know are really handy, and I kind of want them. I looked it up and found how to get them but to get them on Windows XP (and some other versions), you had to do some changes to the CD/DVD (IDE) part of settings. At the connection part, you had to choose " Use Physical Drive", which I did. But when opening the VM I get CMD, it says some stuff but mostly after some time I get:
"PXE-E53: No boot filename recieved

PXE-M0F: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

Operating System not found"
Can anyone help?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
_XiphosS_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

EDIT: If anyone encounters the same issue it's actually easy to fix. All you have to do it turn off your Virtual Machine and disconnect the Floppy drive. That seems to be what stoped me from installing VMware tools on XP.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Sounds like you have connected the CD drive of the VM in such a way as the VM is now trying to boot from it - disconnect the CD drive of the VM and the OS should then boot normally again.

Even if installing VMware Tools manually, you would connect the CD drive of the VM to an ISO image that contains the VMware Tools files - but you don't want to boot the VM from that ISO image - let the guest OS boot as normal, login as a user with administrator rights, and open the CD drive to run the installer.

You can get the ISO files from this repository: Index of /45848/tools/releases

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
_XiphosS_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm sorry but not being the most enlightened one on VMs I don'treally understand 😧

So let's say I make a new VM. From there, what would I do?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

You've installed XP in the VM?

Perhaps it might be useful for you to look through the documentation: Creating Virtual Machines

There is a section on installing your guest OS, and another on installing VMware Tools.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
_XiphosS_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sorry for the confusion, I messed up the last message.
So, upon creating a VM without the Use Physical Drive option, after the Windows XP installation, I get the message, on CMD, saying:
"Installing VMware Tools . . . Please wait a few seconds.
Acces is denied.

The system cannot find the drive specified."

And...when creating it with the Use Phyisical Drive option...I said in the original post. That's why I was so confused, and wrote my first reply to your comment, beacuse I could not acces the VM with the Use Phyisical Drive option.
So, if I create a VM with the Use Physical Drive option and one without it, can you present what I should do in both scenarios?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

I don't know what you are doing to cause this:

I get the message, on CMD, saying:
"Installing VMware Tools . . . Please wait a few seconds.
Acces is denied.

The system cannot find the drive specified."

As you need XP to be installed and booting first before installing VMware Tools, follow the advice in my initial reply - download the correct ISO, get your VM CD drive to use that ISO (rather than a physical drive), then open the 😧 drive in XP (which Windows should then have mounted to the ISO) to run the installer.

0 Kudos
_XiphosS_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

How do I download the ISO in the initial reply?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Follow the link I posted in that reply and browse the folder structure: Index of /45848/tools/releases

For example here's the most recent version for a Windows guest OS: Index of /45848/tools/releases/latest/windows

Out of interest, did you actually try reading the documentation from the other link I posted? Installing and Upgrading VMware Tools

0 Kudos
_XiphosS_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Yes, I have read the link and it helped me understand more things about VMware Tools. But as asked in the last reply, how do I install the things from the link? I know to find them but have no idea how to install.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

By following the guidance I am trying to give you, here it all is again:

1. Download the ISO file onto your host system

2. Boot the VM

3. Attach the ISO file to the CD drive of your VM, make sure the CD device is set to connect

4. In the guest OS, use Windows Explorer to open the CD drive (probably D:)

5. Start the installer if it doesn’t autorun (just the same as if you were using a physical CD)

6. Disconnect the ISO from the VM once you‘re finished with it

I honestly don’t know what else to say.

0 Kudos
_XiphosS_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, sorry to bother you again and being so confusing yesterday. I could not download the files and that's why I kept asking how to download them, but now I have them. All the steps you gave me are clear, but what do you mean by attaching the ISO file to the CD drive of the VM? Replacing the existent one with the one I downloaded?

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

On the same screen where you told the VM CD drive to use the physical drive, there's an option use an ISO instead.

Documentation: Configuring CD-ROM and DVD Drive Status and Connection Settings

0 Kudos
_XiphosS_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Ok, I have done that. The drive has changed, but there is no installer in it.

0 Kudos
_XiphosS_
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

EDIT: If anyone encounters the same issue it's actually easy to fix. All you have to do it turn off your Virtual Machine and disconnect the Floppy drive. That seems to be what stoped me from installing VMware tools on XP.

0 Kudos