VMware Communities
kitch2k
Contributor
Contributor

Problems joining a domain

Hi Everyone,

I am a vmware newbie so please excuse the following question... It's going to seem like a DNS problem at first but I am pretty sure it's a problem with how I have my networking set up in VMWare workstation.

I currently have VMWare Workstation 6.5 with two virtual machines. One is a Windows Server 2003 R2. The other is Windows XP professional. I have AD and DNS set up on the server which is the primary domain controller with a domain of testcompany.local. When I try to join my XP virtual machine to the testcompany.local domain I get the following error message:

Note: This information is intended for a network administrator. If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\WINDOWS\debug\dcdiag.txt.

DNS was successfully queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate a domain controller for domain testcompany.local:

The query was for the SRV record for ldap.tcp.dc._msdcs.testcompany.local

The following domain controllers were identified by the query:

testsrv01.testcompany.local

Common causes of this error include:

- Host (A) records that map the name of the domain controller to its IP addresses are missing or contain incorrect addresses.

- Domain controllers registered in DNS are not connected to the network or are not running.

For information about correcting this problem, click Help.

I only have one network card installed on the physical machine and Both VM's are using bridged networking with statically assigned addresses. I can ping by both hostname and IP from client-server and server-client. I am very confident that I have DNS set up correctly as I have set it up in the real world many times.

Is there something that needs to be done from a virtual machine perspective to get the XP VM to join my domain?

Thank you,

Chris

0 Kudos
3 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums!

Please post "ipconfig /all" from both guests and the host.

AWo

VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
rofish
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

The typical setting for both W2K3 and XP are DHCP. You probably get DNS settings from your (default) DHCP server too. Configure your XP workstation to use your W2K3 server as primary DNS.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Ronald

0 Kudos
kitch2k
Contributor
Contributor

Well... I got frusterated and re-installed DNS over the weekend. Things are working fine now.

I guess the VMWare configured wasn't to blame after all :smileyblush:

Thank you for the attempt at helping me

0 Kudos