VMware Cloud Community
AndyD123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problems configuring new VM using Fedora-33 64 bit iso - unable to boot new VM

Hi, I am trying to configure a new VM on a new install of VMWare - 6.7.0 Update 3 (Build 14320388). I have uploaded an iso image to the host datastore and have verified that the checksum of the image is correct.

I then configure a new VM, using the OS-type option of Linux+Fedora 64-bit. I conifigure the VM CD-ROM so that it points at the iso image and try and restart the VM, having first enabled the "enter BIOS on next boot" option, so that I can shuffle the CD-ROM to the top of the list of boot devices.

Unfortunately, when I boot the system I get the errors shown in the attached screenshot.

Note that this is using the BIOS boot method. I get similar failure if I select the EFI boot option (with or without the UEFI option).

Any suggesions would be most appreciated - I am tearing my hair out 😞

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AndyD123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sigh - mea culpa 🤥 In an attempt to resolve this issue I went back to some earlier versions of Fedora for which I had iso images. During this process, I happenedi to notice that while these old images were of the order of 2GB, my 'new' image was only 25MB. It seems that during the various copying steps that I had performed, to get the image onto the VMWare host, I had somehow truncated the image. What a total eejit I am! 😫

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

@AndyD123 

Moderator: Moved to vSphere > Linux Discussions, the VM is not hosted on Workstation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
AndyD123
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Sigh - mea culpa 🤥 In an attempt to resolve this issue I went back to some earlier versions of Fedora for which I had iso images. During this process, I happenedi to notice that while these old images were of the order of 2GB, my 'new' image was only 25MB. It seems that during the various copying steps that I had performed, to get the image onto the VMWare host, I had somehow truncated the image. What a total eejit I am! 😫

0 Kudos