VMware Communities
rednaw
Contributor
Contributor

Problems adding physical HDD to a VM ?

Hi guys

I´m trying ta add a physical disk to my ws but it doesn´t work. All I´m doing is following the wizard for adding a physical disk. What am I missing?

//B

0 Kudos
5 Replies
IamTHEvilONE
Immortal
Immortal

rednaw,

Welcome to the VMware Community Forums!

Can you be a bit more descriptive about "doesn't work". Is there an error message or something?

You can either specify an entire physical disk (please don't use your OS drive of your host), or a specific partition from a physical disk.

If the wizard completes, then when the Guest OS boots, you must configure the disk for use. just like any physical system. If you have a windows guest, then use disk management to detect the disk and assign it a drive letter. If it's unformatted, then format it.

For a linux guest, mount the device to a folder using the gui or command line options.

Let me know what happens,

EvilOne

1 - Check the documents

2 - Search the forums

3 - Post Question

And remember to award points to those who assist you.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Very likely you use a Vista-host ...

I don;t know a single example where adding physical disks to a VM running in Vista works ...

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
rednaw
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

The error is displayed below...but yes I´m running the host on Vista 64. Is it time to give up then?

0 Kudos
birdie
Expert
Expert

It looks like you are trying to plug in a HDD you are booting from your Host OS - you'd better never do that, cause you can easily break everything.

If you are still sure you won't mess up, then disable all antiviruses and uninstall all applications which access your HDD (partitions) directly.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Birdie - stunts like that never were a problem with Windows - it just does no longer work in Vista

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos