VMware Communities
westes
Contributor
Contributor

Problems Installing VMWare Converter 3.0.3 on Windows 2000 SP4 Server

I am having problems getting VMWare Converter 3.0.3 to install on a Windows 2000 SP4 server.  The installer keeps issuing Microsoft Installer commands with bad syntax, and the install fails with Microsoft's Installer bringing up its help box.

I have tried to recover unsuccessfully as follows:

1) I permanently disabled SFC and rebooted.

2) I then uninstalled Microsoft Installer 3.1 and rebooted.    That left me with the default Installer 2.0

3) I tried to install VMWare Converter 3.0.3 and that failed with an installer syntax error.

4) I then installed Microsoft Installer 3.1 V2 and rebooted again.

5) I then tried to install VMWare Converter 3.0.3 and it fails again with bad syntax errors for Installer.

I can't get Microsoft Installer 4.5 to install on a Windows 2000 SP4 system.  So at this point I seem to have exhausted obvious options.   It appears to me that VMWare Converter was written to work with one and only one version of Microsoft Installer, and I cannot for the life of me figure out which one.   Does anyone have any ideas on where the dependency exists?

Is there any alternate way for me to get VMWare Converter 3.0.3 installed on a Windows 2000 system?    Perhaps there is a way to extract out the files contained in the VMWare Converter Installer EXE and then run a *properly formatted* Microsoft Installer command against the extracted MSI file?

I also tried to build a VMWare Converter 3.0.3 "Cold Clone" CD, which boots but unfortunately cannot see the installed OS after booting.   This is likely device driver issues.

-- Will
0 Kudos
0 Replies