VMware Communities
jlimbo
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with virtual adapters

Hi all

My lab environment has 2 physical servers running ESXi and Workstation 14 on my PC running DNS, vCentre and the shared storage for the ESXi boxes.

This was all fine until the hard drive that Workstation was on failed. Initially I couldn't either uninstall or reinstall as setup insisted on trying to work on the failed drive. To install again I had to run a registry cleaner after which I managed to install it on a different drive. However, it did not install the default bridged vmnet0 or the associated virtual adapter. I have tried to create a custom network and install a virtual adapter so I can bridge my VMs out to the physical network.

When I tick the 'Connect host virtual adapter to this network' checkbox and press apply, it tries to install it, but it just hangs for ages and then clears the checkbox

I have tried reinstalling workstation, rebooting and using the repair option on the installer. I've also tried the restore defaults button, but nothing is working

I looked at a few other posts and it seems i'm missing the VMnetBridge registry key, which others have lost through security software intervening. I have no security software currently installed that would prevent Workstation reinstalling that key

Any help would be massively appreciated

0 Kudos
5 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Were you running the Virtual Network Editor as Administrator?

Can you try manually adding the "Vmware Bridge Protocol" client to the physical NIC?  Browse to the Workstation folder for the vmnetbridge.inf file for the driver.

0 Kudos
jlimbo
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for quick response

VNE was running as admin. I've tried to add the protocol, but having selected the driver file I get the error 'Unable to find drivers for device'

0 Kudos
jlimbo
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, got the driver installed and just tried to create a new virtual adapter, but still have the same problem

0 Kudos
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Would you please try to re-install the Workstation and check if you can find the virtual adapter of vmnet1 and vmnet8 from "Device Manger -- Network" after workstation installation? If not, would you please upload the installer log files? It locates in %tmp% folder, and we are interested in all vm*.log, thanks

0 Kudos
jlimbo
Contributor
Contributor

Neither adapters where present in device manager after installing. Each did appear briefly during the install process

0 Kudos