VMware Communities
munrobasher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Problem with multiple monitors

This annoying fault has been around for a few versions and is still present in version 12:

1. Open virtual machine
  2. Switch to full-screen mode
  3. Click on the multiple monitors button so you've now got a full-screen dual screen VM
  4. Works fine whilst you stay in the VM
  5. Hover over the VMware Workstation tool bar and minimise VMware Workstation
  6. Click on the VMware Workstation icon in the Windows system tray but accidentally select a different paused or shutdown VM, i.e. not the VM running full-screen & multiple monitor

Problem #1: the second screen from the original VM is shown on the right-hand monitor - it shouldn't as I've not selected a dual-screen VM. Nothing should appear on the 2nd monitor

Problem #2: when you do switch back to to your original VM, the 2nd monitor has stopped working - it shows the frozen 2nd screen. You can move your mouse over the 2nd monitor and drag windows into it but they disappear.

The only workaround is to cycle multiple monitors which means you have to manually move all your windows back.

Rob.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rachelsunsm
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I can reproduce this with WS 12.0.1, and I have file a bug for dev to confirm if this is a real issue.

Thanks

Rachel

0 Kudos
munrobasher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks Rachel.

Cheers, Rob.

0 Kudos
vmwarejockey
Contributor
Contributor

I have a variation of this problem when I am running on Windows 10.

Just as you stated, once I click "Cycle Multiple Monitors" it works well while I work in the VM. As soon as I minimize VMWare Workstation and then return to it, my mouse is completely frozen on the screen.  The only way to "unfreeze" it is to turn off "Cycle Multiple Monitors" so that VMWware Workstation reverts to a single screen.

I use multiple monitors all the time, so this defect/bug is really driving me crazy so I hope they fix it soon in an upcoming release!

0 Kudos