VMware Communities
pbreeze
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem with hint box when using VMWare-KVM

I have asked this question in the Workstation Player forum but there does not appear to be anybody there who know about VMWare-KVM so I am hoping for more luck here.

Re: VMWare Workstation Player 12.1  When I start a virtual machine using VMWare-KVM I am continually presented with the 'Press pause to switch among virtual machines and the host - do not show hint again' message box. I have tried ticking 'do not show hint again' but this has no effect. I have tried deselecting from VMWare-KVM --preferences. Again no effect. I imagine there is a line I can add to ...\roaming\VMWare\preferences.ini that will disable this. Does anybody know what the format for this would be?

Thanks  PBreeze

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
huxiang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

Welcome to Workstation Community!

I'm sorry. I think It's a bug of vmware-kvm on Windows 7. I can reproduce the issue on Windows 7 with 12.1.0 Workstation. But it works well on Windows 8.1.

The temporary workaround is configuring it in the preferences file as you mentioned. Add below line to %APPDATA%\VMware\preferences.ini:

hint.vmkvm.usageHint = "FALSE"

I'll report a product bug for it. Thanks for bringing this issue to us!

Regards,

Shawn

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
huxiang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hello,

Welcome to Workstation Community!

I'm sorry. I think It's a bug of vmware-kvm on Windows 7. I can reproduce the issue on Windows 7 with 12.1.0 Workstation. But it works well on Windows 8.1.

The temporary workaround is configuring it in the preferences file as you mentioned. Add below line to %APPDATA%\VMware\preferences.ini:

hint.vmkvm.usageHint = "FALSE"

I'll report a product bug for it. Thanks for bringing this issue to us!

Regards,

Shawn

0 Kudos
huxiang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I just found it may related to the "Help" -> "Hints" -> "Show Enabled Hints" menu in Workstation. When this menu item is NOT selected, hints for vmware-kvm.exe cannot be disabled from UI. When this menu item is selected (by default, it is selected), hints for vmware-kvm.exe. can be disabled from UI.

Anyway, it's still a problem. When "Show Enabled Hints" is not selected, hints for vmware-kvm.exe should not be displayed as well.

So if it's your case, you can either select "Show Enabled Hints" menu item in Workstation to make "do not show hint again" work for vmware-kvm.exe OR edit the preferences.ini file as that in workaround.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Shawn

pbreeze
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Shawn, thanks.  Both those solutions work.  In fact once I enabed "Show Enabled Hints" which were disabled, and restarted VMWare-KVM then ticked the box to disable to hint, the line was written into the preferences file for me.  I have now disabled "Show Enabled Hints" again and it has stuck, as you would expect.  Thanks for finding the solution.

Paul