VMware Communities
ybnrml
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with VM suspend

I have 8 Virtual Machines. I created them all at the same time in the same way using Workstation 15 Pro. All of them but one will suspend and allow me to resume.

One of the VMs will suspend on command without error but it will not offer the option to Resume the VM. It only offers the Power on the VM option as if I shut it down instead of Suspended it.

I have compared every setting I can find between the ones that work correctly and this one and cannot find out why this one will not suspend. 

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

What you may want to start with, is to take a look at the VM's vmware.log file after suspending it. Maybe it contains helpful information!?

André

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Is the VM using a raw-disk?

Otherwise, what's different about that VM vs. your other VMs?

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos
ybnrml
Contributor
Contributor

So far, I can find nothing different. They all were exact clones of a working Windows OS VM before software was installed on each VM. No changes to the VM settings were made.

All the settings that I see are exactly the same.

All the VM's are stored in the same base folder on my hard drive.

I have been working on this for months trying to find a difference.

Right now, I'm trying to dig through the enormous data that is recorded in the log files and comparing this to a VM that suspends correctly. This will take awhile.

0 Kudos
ybnrml
Contributor
Contributor

I have an update on this and it's even more strange (to me, at least).

If I suspend the troublesome VM and leave VM Workstation open, I am able to resume the VM.

If I close the VM Workstation program, the option to Resume that VM is gone. I can only power it on.

I compared the logfiles between this one and a VM that works correctly and while there were some small differences there were no major faults or errors between the two.

The only difference I saw was the troublesome VM had some faults while trying to access a Snapshot that does not exist. The Settings for this VM does not have Snapshots enabled.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

>>> ... some faults while trying to access a Snapshot that does not exist.

Can you please explain that in more detail?

André

0 Kudos
ybnrml
Contributor
Contributor

These were from the log file. I only noticed it because they were not in any of the other log files.

2022-01-19T16:40:33.312-05:00| vmx| I005: SNAPSHOT: SnapshotConfigInfoExpandVM: Unable to find 'AB W10 7724-48c51afd.vmss'. Setting vmState to NULL.
2022-01-19T16:40:33.319-05:00| vmx| I005: SNAPSHOT: SnapshotConfigInfoExpandVM: Unable to find 'AB W10 7724-48c51afd.vmss'. Setting vmState to NULL.

However, the latest log file for this VM did not include those lines and the Resume Option was still not available.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Does the VM's configuration (.vmx) file contain an entry "checkpoint.vmState" which points to the .vmss file in such a case, i.e. after suspending the VM, and after closing VMware Workstation?

André

0 Kudos
ybnrml
Contributor
Contributor

That VM crashed today and would not open again.

I deleted it and created a new one so this issue is closed.

Thanks to everyone who tried to assist me with this problem.

0 Kudos