VMware Communities
apollookc
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with Solaris 11.1 vm

Hi! I have the following problem: I tried to create a Solaris 11.1 virtual machine in the latest VMware Workstation (10.0.1) and despite my efforts it is impossible to make the Tools running. During the installation I receive the following messages:

root@solaris: /home/xxx/Desktop/vmware-tools-distrib# ./vmware-install.pl -default

A previous installation of VMware Tools has been detected. The previous installation was made by the tar installer (version 4).

Keeping the tar4 installer database format.

You have a version of VMware Tools installed.  Continuing this install will first uninstall the currently installed version.  Do you wish to continue? (yes/no) [yes]

Uninstalling the tar installation of VMware Tools.

Stopping services for VMware Tools Stopping VMware Tools services in the virtual machine:

Guest operating system daemon:                                        

done Blocking file system:                                                 

done Unmounting HGFS shares:                                               

done Guest filesystem driver:                                              

done Guest memory manager:                                                 

Driver (vmxnet) not installed.

Driver (vmhgfs) not installed.

The removal of VMware Tools 9.6.1 build-1378637 for Solaris completed successfully.

Installing VMware Tools.

In which directory do you want to install the binary files? [/usr/bin]

What is the directory that contains the init directories (rc0.d/ to rc6.d/)? [/etc]

What is the directory that contains the init scripts? [/etc/init.d]

In which directory do you want to install the daemon files? [/usr/sbin]

In which directory do you want to install the library files? [/usr/lib/vmware-tools]

The path "/usr/lib/vmware-tools" does not exist currently. This program is going to create it, including needed parent directories. Is this what you want? [yes]

In which directory do you want to install the documentation files? [/usr/share/doc/vmware-tools] The path "/usr/share/doc/vmware-tools" does not exist currently. This program is going to create it, including needed parent directories. Is this what you want? [yes]

The installation of VMware Tools 9.6.1 build-1378637 for Solaris completed successfully. You can decide to remove this software from your system at any time by invoking the following command: "/usr/bin/vmware-uninstall-tools.pl".

Before running VMware Tools for the first time, you need to configure it by invoking the following command: "/usr/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl". Do you want this program to invoke the command for you now? [yes]

Initializing... /bin/xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default

Making sure services for VMware Tools are stopped.

Stopping VMware Tools services in the virtual machine:

Guest operating system daemon:                                         done

Blocking file system:                                                  done

Unmounting HGFS shares:                                                done

Guest filesystem driver:                                               done

Guest memory manager:                                                  done

Use of uninitialized value $release in string eq at /usr/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl line 5518.

The VMware Host-Guest Filesystem allows for shared folders between the host OS and the guest OS in a Fusion or Workstation virtual environment.  Do you wish to enable this feature? [yes]

The vmblock enables dragging or copying files between host and guest in a Fusion or Workstation virtual environment.  Do you wish to enable this feature? [yes]

Detected X server version 1.12.2 Distribution provided drivers for Xorg X server are used.

Skipping X configuration because X drivers are not included.

Starting VMware Tools services in the virtual machine:

Switching to guest configuration:                                      done

Guest filesystem driver:                                               done

Mounting HGFS shares:                                                  done

Guest memory manager:                                                  done

Blocking file system:                                                  done

Guest operating system daemon:                                         done

The configuration of VMware Tools 9.6.1 build-1378637 for Solaris for this running kernel completed successfully. You must restart your X session before any mouse or graphics changes take effect. You can now run VMware Tools by invoking "/usr/bin/vmware-toolbox-cmd" from the command line.

As you can see there are a couple of messages during the installation but I'm not sure if they are related with the tools execution issue. I tried to create the same virtual machine in Workstation 9 and I didn't have the problem. Am I doing something wrong or it is a compatibility issue with the latest version of VMware Workstation? Also how can I make sure that all the necessary packages are installed (gcc, make etc.)?

0 Kudos
0 Replies