VMware Communities
ProcTrap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Problem with Player since one month, no VMs starting

I've the vmware player running since two years.

My system is windows 7 64bit, latest updates installed.

But since two months, out of the blue, I can't start any VMs anymore.

I'm always getting the well known "can't connect to authorisation service" message, WHILE it is running.

I've reinstalled the player multiple times, even with UAC disabled, created another user account, run everything as administrator, disabled any anti virus, still it's not able to start any vms anymore (creating new ones results in a blackscreen as soon as it's coming to the startup phase)..

Does somebody here know a solution except reinstalling the whole system, hoping to get it back up running ?

I'm at my limits in terms of knowledge now..

I am posting this in the workstation pro section as the problem also occurs with the current workstation 12 installation.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ProcTrap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

FIX:

Uninstalled Kaspersky.

Repaired the VMware installation.

Rebooted

Reinstalled Kaspersky (latest Version)

This problem seemed to be coming from kaspersky itself.

As one other software also couldn't open a socket anymore (access error), out of the blue, from one day to the other, I had a strong suspicion about Kaspersky.

The problem originates in a problematic network driver, which was solved by A: reinstalling the whole driver and B: also reinstalling Kaspersky & repairing VMware, so the network driver hooks of both are working again. (As Kaspersky whitelists VMWare automatically)

Thanks for your patience with me.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Jump to solution

Is the service running?

Anything in the error logs?

Lou

0 Kudos
huxiang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi ProcTrap,

Welcome to Workstation community!

Could you please check the status of "VMware Authorization Service" in services.msc? If it's not Running, can you try to start it manually?

Thanks,

Shawn

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

You didn't mention the exact version of Player you are using (although there is some mention of VMware Workstation 12, did you mean to say that you tried to install the very latest version?)

Also no info on what antivirus product you are using.

FWIW Antivirus products sometimes need to be uninstalled, not just disabled, in order to rule out they are interfering with being able to run virtual machines.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ProcTrap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

as stated above: it is running, I even stopped and started it again

if you could name me the error log location of the software itself that would help, as I only know the one of the VM

0 Kudos
ProcTrap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the fast reply.

It is running and I can start it by myself also. (after stopping it)

It worked for two years but stopped two months ago. I can't say what brought it into that state, since I've done multiple windows updates, but none of them directly crashed the installation.

Also: Before it broke totally I've had error messages while manually stopping the service. I'm stopping it by myself when I don't need it. But the time right before this situation, in which nothing works any more, I got error messages, when stopping the authorisation service, in form of a Error code displayed in a dialogue by services.msc, saying that stopping the service resulted in an error. After klicking on okay the dialogue went away and the service was stopped, I also could start it again, but stopping always resulted in an error.

Win 7 64bit

Kaspersky KIS 2015

0 Kudos
ProcTrap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

FIX:

Uninstalled Kaspersky.

Repaired the VMware installation.

Rebooted

Reinstalled Kaspersky (latest Version)

This problem seemed to be coming from kaspersky itself.

As one other software also couldn't open a socket anymore (access error), out of the blue, from one day to the other, I had a strong suspicion about Kaspersky.

The problem originates in a problematic network driver, which was solved by A: reinstalling the whole driver and B: also reinstalling Kaspersky & repairing VMware, so the network driver hooks of both are working again. (As Kaspersky whitelists VMWare automatically)

Thanks for your patience with me.

0 Kudos