VMware Communities
Ion_Raid
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with Microsoft Edge (Windows 11) and Workstation Pro, 16.2.3, Build - 1937653

Hello there!

I would appreciate it if someone at VMware can read and take action on this problem.

See this thread and note the last post:

VMWare Tools is the issue.

Completely Transparent Menus in Microsoft Edge on Windows 11, Making Them Extremely Difficult to Read

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoftedge/forum/all/completely-transparent-menus-in-microsof...

Many thanks in advance for your assistance!

🙂

0 Kudos
13 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Note that this is a user community, other than me tagging @Mikero this is not going to get any further into VMware by you posting it here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Ion_Raid
Contributor
Contributor

Hi again -

What do I need to do as a user in order to bring this to the attention of VMware for their action?

Thanks.

🙄

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Contact support, I believe you can pay per incident.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
0 Kudos
Ion_Raid
Contributor
Contributor

Wait!

With all due respect, that is the most insane comment that I have ever encountered in a technical forum.

I should pay for VMware's bugs? Not a chance.

And you are a VMware employee?

Submit the bug and work the issue!

😠

scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Me being a VMware employee is irrelevant, if you care to check my signature.

I don't know anyone in the product team other than the user I tagged, and don't trawl the forums looking for bugs to report internally.

You need to contact the product team or the support team - I've tagged someone in the product team, and mentioned that you could contact the support team - those are the correct channels to get your matter reported.

I was trying to help.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Please be aware that VMware employees trying to help you -in their free time- are not "support engineers". They are just trying to help.
Also note that the forum is not the official support channel. The forum is where users of VMware's products help other users.

Also note that while I might be a moderator here, I do not work for VMware.. instead I'm yet another volunteer.

With all that out of the way...

The issue you're seeing is a known issue, which is probably why you're not getting much of a response. It has been discussed many times for the various browsers (google chrome and even Firefox).

The issue has to do with hardware rendering.

The fix is to either turn off 3D for the VM completely, but the better solution is to turn it off in MS Edge.

In order to do so, in MS Edge go to settings -> select "System and Performance" and disable "hardware acceleration".

wila_0-1647942005649.png

After doing that, the problems should be resolved.

best regards,
--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
Ion_Raid
Contributor
Contributor

Hello and thank you very much for your reply!

I regret having to disable Hardware Acceleration but I will do it.

Is there a time frame as to when this problem will be corrected for good?

@scott28tt- Nothing personal, mate. I didn't quite understand the situation.

Cheers!.

🙂

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

@Ion_Raid wrote:

Is there a time frame as to when this problem will be corrected for good?

It's been a problem for as long as I know.. and as I don't work for VMware... I don't know if it will ever be fixed or not. VMware rarely provides a time frame for just about anything either.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Ion_Raid
Contributor
Contributor

Reading some of these threads this seems to be a major problem

The company does not seem to be proactive at fixing this problem.

So who at VMware can get this fixed?

😥

thewul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@wila 

THANK you so much indeed!
This was driving me crazy. English not being my native language, I was really puzzled as to how to explain the problem, that's to say, in just a few words, so I could properly search for it.

Could not get into the settings of Edge (see attachment), hence I needed to enter the "edge://settings/system" from your screenshot so as to get to the 'Hardware acceleration' thing...

Did a re-install/update of VM Tools, checked out the 3D settings of the host-video card, etc.

Anyway, thanks again, really super!

p.s. VMware Workstation v15.5.x on Windows 10 x64 latest version.

0 Kudos
EdyDev
Contributor
Contributor

The weird thing is that on Windows Server 2022 the issue is nonexistent even with hardware acceleration turned on.

All I needed to run in a VM was a python script but it is really irritating when you have to use the browser. If you can, you should use Windows Server if you need hardware acceleration.

0 Kudos
TomHuntford
Contributor
Contributor

I can confirm, Hardware Acceleration is the culprit.  The problem is getting to the Settings menu, since the menu is not visible.  Two methods:

1. In Edge, click the ellipsis (...) in the upper-right, then type "s" (this will open Settings, which, of course you cannot see because the menu is messed up!!)
  2. Type this in the browser: edge://settings/system

Then turn off "Use hardware acceleration when available" in the System section at top

cb1231
Contributor
Contributor

This fixed it for me, thank you!

0 Kudos