VMware Communities
Xatosch
Contributor
Contributor

Problem with Google Chrome popup windows

Since v15 I have the shown problem with Google Chrome in W10 Machines...

Castor-2019-03-27-12-57-57.png

28 Replies
deemcclanahan
Contributor
Contributor

Installing v11.1.5 worked for me for Brave browser. However, it did not work for MS Edge v95.  Still getting white pop-up boxes for credential assistant, bookmarks, etc.

update:  just noted that while bookmarks for Brave are now visible - credential pop up windows are still white-out.

Update 2:  Brave pop-up windows when hovering mouse over tabs in the browser are whited out.  I had to disable hardware tags via chrome://flags/#use-angle, before I could see those again.   Doing the same hardware change for MS Edge did not work for me.

0 Kudos
level420
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The bug also shows up on Windows 11 Pro even with the latest VMware Tools 12.0.0

0 Kudos
drvcloud
Contributor
Contributor

This worked, thanks.  I also noticed if disabling the 3D acceleration in settings it also resolved the issue, but I prefer having it enabled, so thanks for this workaround. 

0 Kudos
nicoueron
Contributor
Contributor

For me, this workaround works very well :

1.  let the 3D accelerated enable in Edge (or Chrome) and just disabled the shadow
  2.  disable the shadows under windows :

nicoueron_0-1650983993758.png

or in English :

nicoueron_2-1650984038370.png

choworth
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
Chilenodelorto
Contributor
Contributor

Awesome solution. It also works in Edge hardware acceleration off . Thanks

0 Kudos
shantanu08
Contributor
Contributor

Not working on Brave Browser 😞 only disabling HW Acceleration worked

0 Kudos
blahblah_gc
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem to vmware workstation 17 pro (chrome crashes the software). Since google refuses to fix it, decided to use edge. Turns out Edge is way better than chrome in every aspect. thanks Google for pushing us to use Edge.

0 Kudos
Min-Yu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@blahblah_gc , Could you please try to reproduce this issue again with Workstation 17 and upload your vmware.log and mksSandbox.log?

I can try to take a look.

Thank you very much!

0 Kudos